Talk

Advanced search

Don't know if I can keep doing this

(6 Posts)
user1471421772 Wed 28-Sep-16 06:49:17

I have posted a couple of times about my then nearly 5 month old and now 5.5 month old. He is still doing 3 naps of 45 mins, bedtime has been moved later again but he's up all the fucking time - he's now worse than a newborn. My eldest didn't sleep through until 3 years old, but baby slept through 7-5 for about 5 glorious weeks. Since about 4 weeks ago it's all gone to shit. Here's last night's schedule:
Bedtime 7pm
Get up 7:45 - 8:30
Get up 11-11.15
Get up 1:30-1:50
Get up 3:00-3:10
Get up for day 5:05
I don't know how to improve it! He doesn't take much milk, settles himself fine at bedtime and a few times in the night (thank goodness!) But I don't know if o can do this until aged 3 - I'm back to work in December. DH and I do turn about getting up with him but I want baby to sleep! He's just so grumpy and whiny during the day - 11 hours sleep in 24 isn't enough!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RootTeeToot Wed 28-Sep-16 07:04:11

I haven't much advice except he is not going to do it until he he three. You will be tougher on him as you have to be as he is your second and you don't have the same time and energy to, I want to say indulge him-but that is not the,right term.

Let everything else slide. Cooking etc. Get The telly on for your oldest so you can react. Thinking he's going to be the same as your first is making it harder for you.

CrikeyJoseph Wed 28-Sep-16 07:18:19

Is he teething? Those awake times aren't too long though. Dd2 was awake from 10.30 to 2.30am the other night. I was beside myself with fatigue so you do have my sympathies (dd2 has a bastard cold she's kindly passed on)

Are you Co sleeping? Dd2 is now in her cot but l pull it close and hold her hand wit out talking to her which seems to sometimes work.

MYA2016 Wed 28-Sep-16 09:51:04

Sorry you're still struggling user.

I used to keep a log of all wakings and I still have it. This was a typical night for me in June when he was 5.5 months . At 9 months he's been sleeping through for weeks so please keep hope flowers

user1471421772 Wed 28-Sep-16 11:03:31

Thank you all. Root you're right - a large part of my despair is thinking that he won't sleep through until 3 like his brother - he is not his brother and I need to remember that.
Joseph we're not co sleeping - I am a very light sleeper and have tried it a few times but got even less sleep and it didn't help the waking. In fact it took longer as he kept rolling around the bed having a merry old time whilst I tried not to break down in tears...
Thanks MYA - your log sounds similar. I think I'll start doing this too. I hope it'll improve soon. I need to remember my eldest is an exception rather than the rule - many babies are sleeping through by 1, so I just need to do what I can. Took baby out to a group and rhyme time this morning so feel a lot better for getting out. Will see what tonight brings.

user1471421772 Thu 29-Sep-16 08:43:18

Last night:
Bedtime 7:15
Wake up 12 (pretty good!)
Wake up half 1
Wake up 3 (for 1 hour)
Up for day 6:25
So not great, but much better than night before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now