Talk

Advanced search

Wriggly 1 yr old - alternative to sleeping bag?

(8 Posts)
Derbyshirelady Sat 24-Sep-16 07:15:28

DS has got a sore exczema patch on his shoulder (got antibiotic cream for this) and we think that the extra material from a sleeping bag, plus vest and sleep suit at the moment are aggravating him. He was up twice last night (usually sleeps through) and was really writhing around and trying to scratch his shoulder with his head sad

Thing is I think if I use blankets rather than sleeping bag he will sleep with no covers on him as he is very wriggly. We are in a rural area and this morning it's 16 degrees in his room so I worry about him being cold.

We adopted him in the height of summer so a bit unsure about the nighttime temperature sleeping thing. Does anyone use something different that works?

Flanderspigeonmurderer Sat 24-Sep-16 07:17:09

A fleecy sleep suit?

Believeitornot Sat 24-Sep-16 07:19:13

Put the heating on? Just on low so it kicks in at about 1/2am when the temp drops?

You could also use blankets but tuck them in one side of the mattress and have them drapped down the other side so less likely to wriggle them off?

FATEdestiny Sat 24-Sep-16 13:26:06

I worry about him being cold

Have you actually tried him in less clothes? My guess is he is hot.

Remember that some children (and adults!) are naturally "hot blooded" or "warm blooded". By that I mean that in the same temprature some prefer to be cooler and some prefer to be snuggly warm.

My husband often sleeps on top of the duvet in just his pants on nights in wearing fleecy pjs and have the duvet up to my chin.

My eldest daughter sleeps under a really thin summer duvet, with a fan blowing at her face, in just pants, all year around. Her brother is often in a fleece onesie with a thicker duvet even in summer. They just naturally prefer different temprature.

At this time of year (midlands, uk) my 23 month old is currently wearing a long sleeved, no legs vest and a summer weight (1tog) sleeping bag. A couple of weeks age when it was hotter she was just in a nappy and 1 tog sleeping bag.

Derbyshirelady Sat 24-Sep-16 21:08:57

Ok that has helped a lot - thanks all. He is definitely a hot thing so I've gone sleepsuit and 1 tog tonight. Also going to try no legs vests.
Damn the grobag website!
And damn the minefield that is parenting!

RandomMess Sat 24-Sep-16 21:12:25

Cooler definitely better for itchy skin.

Stick with gro-bags for as many years as possible!

MrsJoeyMaynard Sat 24-Sep-16 21:17:15

We used to have a padded sleep suit - with the same tog rating as a gro-bag - for colder months.
We got ours from Mothercare but I think JoJo Maman Bebe do similar ones too.

Might be worth bearing in mind for winter if he finds gro-bags restrictive.

Liskee Tue 27-Sep-16 21:51:07

DS1 has slept in a fleecy sleepsuits since he could stand up. He used to struggle with sleeping bags and banged his head a couple of times falling over as he was trying to stand in them in the cot. So we moved to a roomy fleecy sleep suit over t-shirt or vest or pyjamas depending on temperature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now