matress advice

(4 Posts)
user1474130506 Fri 23-Sep-16 13:12:10

hi all.

our LO is 5 months and for the past 4 weeks hes gone from sleeping really well to waking up at various times during the night. He sleeps in a cot bed at the moment in our room.

We have noticed that he raises his legs and thrashes his arms about all over his face/head when he starts to wake up which only wakes him up more.

When it gets to about 4am we have started letting him sleep with us for the last couple of hours and he always falls asleep and never moves, no thrashing around etc.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this behaviour.

His mattress is pretty hard in the cot so we wondered if it was simply due to him being more comfy on our mattress than his baby one which is firm for safety reasons I guess.

I've seen a few people say they put towels under the mattress cover to soften it a little, any thoughts on that before we try it tonight?

other than that can anyone recommend a softer matress for his cot?

thanks!

FATEdestiny Fri 23-Sep-16 16:55:18

Being 'pinned down' helps calm the thrashing arms and legs things that babies do.

It's likely that when I'm with you, your cuddles hold him still enough to calm back to sleep

To recreate in the cot you could use a cot sheet (we used over the top of a sleeping bag) really tightly tucked in. If you turn the cot sheet around do that it's widthways not lengthways it gives you lots of extra material to tick right around and under the mattress. This kind of 'pins down' the baby.

littlejoshua Fri 23-Sep-16 17:10:07

hi thanks for the advice.

we tried a sheet for one night but hes freakishly strong and just pulled it up with his legs, but the sheet wasn't that long so we may try with a longer sheet that really tucks in under the mattress.

FATEdestiny Fri 23-Sep-16 18:59:06

A crib or pushchsir sizes sheet won't cut the mustard. You want a cot sheet or just a normal single sheet cut in half. Then use it across ways do that the long edge wraps all the way around and under the mattresss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now