Talk

Advanced search

Starting to worry about this a bit

(4 Posts)
flipflopson5thavenue Fri 23-Sep-16 06:02:46

DS2 is 22 mo and the last couple of months his sleep has been atrocious.

I'll try to summarise. Bedtime has become drawn out and involves DP and I lying by his cot/patting him/singing to him. This isn't new he's always needed us to fall asleep first bfeeding then rocking/cuddling and now this patting. Sometimes he'll take up to an hour to go to sleep and often there's a lot of protesting and crying (his - but sometimes mine angry) On days he goes to nursery he can be asleep around 8/815. Non nursery nights we can usually get it closer to 7/7:15.

He'll then wake at least once and be very cross and upset but eventually goes back to sleep with one of us lying back down with him. Twice in the last 10 days he's woken at 3:30am and we haven't been able to get him back to sleep.7

Then he wakes anywhere between 4:45 and 5:30 and he's usually really cross and very very tired and cries and screams demanding to go downstairs calling for breakfast or cartoons or books. He shares a room with DS1 (4yo) who invariably wakes and then HE is tired and cross and crying.

It's a nightmare. This morning DS2 woke at 4:45 (took him til almost 8:30pm to fall asleep at bedtime) and he was clearly still so tired but he was screaming and scratching and hitting me when I tried to get him to lie back down and go to sleep. He's just SO cross and SO tired! Why won't he just go back to sleep???

He naps anywhere between 1-1.5hrs during the day. I really feel he's not getting enough sleep, some nights he'll only get around 9hrs sleep. He rarely sleeps more than 10hrs at night.

I wouldn't mind if he woke rested and happy. The mornings are becoming so fraught as he's so miserable and clingy and I feel so bad for him but also I can't help feeling frustrated at him - it's too early to get up!!!!!!! I'm worried about sending him to nursery when he's has so little sleep, it cant be good for him not sleeping enough. We're in this cycle of coming downstairs at 5am and putting Netflix on and I feel like he's this sleep-deprived zombie watching cartoons in the middle of the night basically sad

I just feel it's not sustainable and I don't know what to do. He fights sleep at bedtime and then won't go back to sleep when he wakes at the crack of dawn.

DS1 just started school this week so now there's the additional worry of him being woken before he's had enough sleep and then really struggling at school he's so tired.

Worth saying DS2 is generally happy rest of the day once he's properly up and has eaten but he just looks so tired all the time and I can't help worry about him.

Would a visit to the HV help..???

JoandMax Fri 23-Sep-16 06:12:45

Poor things, that sounds exhausting for you all!

Have you tried co-sleeping after his first wake up? It sound like he wants/needs you there so even if he still wakes he may get back to sleep quicker and for longer?

flipflopson5thavenue Fri 23-Sep-16 07:09:18

Hi thanks. Yes have tried to bring him into our bed but he just shouts and screams and wants to get up and go downstairs. It's like his body - and his mummy! - knows he needs to go back to sleep but his brain is AWAKE and there's no persuading him!!

flipflopson5thavenue Fri 23-Sep-16 07:13:26

Times like these I wished I was still bfeeding....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now