Is this just teething...?

(5 Posts)
angelpuffs Sun 11-Sep-16 22:51:48

My DD is 7.5 months and for the last 3 nights has woken every hour-ish screaming and writhing in pain. Mostly she's refused milk, occasionally she's taken it. During the day, her solid feeds are not affected, she has no temperature and is quite happy. She's been awake for the last 2 hrs though, screaming. Is teething really this painful? I took her to an out of hours doctor this morning who checked her over and said she had slightly red Eustachian tubes but that there was no actual ear infection, and everything else seemed fine.

Please let me know if teething can be so bad or if you think it's something else. Forgot to say- she's got her 2 bottom teeth already so it would be the top 2 that are on their way...?

minipie Sun 11-Sep-16 22:57:25

Teething varies a lot from child to child (and also affected by how many they are getting at once - your DD may be getting the top 4 at once like my DD2 - ouch!). So it could be teeth, or not... Hard to say.

Are you giving nurofen - I find that best for teething. If that doesn't seem to help or help much I'd suspect something else is up.

angelpuffs Mon 12-Sep-16 16:44:30

Thanks minipie. I've never tried nurofen- only calpol. I've bought nurofen today and am going to try it tonight. It says you can only use it for 3 days- is this true?

minipie Mon 12-Sep-16 19:05:25

I think they mean if you're using it for 3 days continuously (ie every 4-6 hours) you should go to the GP as it may be something needing more treatment. <am not an expert tho> Doesn't it say the same on Calpol?

angelpuffs Mon 12-Sep-16 19:23:49

I see. It might say the same on calpol- haven't checked. Hopefully I'll just be using it at night- anything to get the screaming to stop shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now