Talk

Advanced search

10 month old fighting afternoon nap only

(9 Posts)
pickledgirkin Mon 29-Aug-16 13:30:18

Hi all, sorry if this is a repeat and please direct me to thread if it is. Our 10 month old has suddenly started fighting her afternoon nap only. Am nap is fine, night time is fine - but the afternoon is a bloody nightmare of crying until we give up and go and get her. We have tried moving the times earlier and later but no joy (although we have just tried her today 1.5 hours after she woke from her am nap and she seems much calmer but is not falling asleep). Questions: 1. why is she having this problem only with the pm naps? 2. any tips - I am nervous her not napping pm might affect her other sleeps. 3. is this a common time for this age? We have noticed that she is communicating more, more confident cruising, etc and also teeth coming through - but again why only pm nap? Many thanks all.... xxx

Nuttypops Mon 29-Aug-16 13:36:50

What time is she napping and for how long for generally? DD went through a stage at around 10/11 months prior to walking that she fought her second nap. We fiddled with times so she napped at 10.30 and 3.00 for a few months with 7.00 bedtime which worked better, then she dropped to one nap at about 16 months. I would give it a week or two to see what happens then change things if need be.

FATEdestiny Mon 29-Aug-16 13:38:47

Is she on just 2 naps a day?

If so, a 1.5h gap between the naps may be too short. I'd try closer to 2 or 3 hours awake time

pickledgirkin Mon 29-Aug-16 13:51:00

so her original naps which worked well for a few months were wake up between 6.30/7ish, 1st nap at about 9/9.30ish for approx 1.5 hours give or take, then a nap at 2/2.30ish for an hour or so, bed by 7pm/7.15. then a few days ago she has been refusing to nap in the afternoon, so we tried later (4ish,4.30) and earlier 1.30 and today we put her down at 1pm and she has just fallen asleep with half an hour of protesting (but not as bad as the other days). SO today it was wake up at 6am (I think cos overtired from the day before), nap at 9.45 until 11.15 then we put her down at 1pm and now she is asleep (so relieved). so sorry to have bothered, but I am interested if this is a phase and if others have experienced similar. Also, this may not work tomorrow and I will be back to square one! Also, whether it is a phase (which my gut is telling me it is). and any solutions others have found. I am reluctant to let her cry it out too much as I think naps are more difficult for that... thanks both of you xxx

FATEdestiny Mon 29-Aug-16 13:56:49

If it was me I would start limiting the morning nap with s view to keep the afternoon nap established.

I'd do that by:

- setting a wake-up time from the AM nap and waking baby at a set time. Say 11.00am
- keeping baby awake longer in the morning, so 9.30 instead of 9.00, or 10.00 instead of 9.30

Use the regulated morning wake up time as a way to regulate the afternoon nap, say 1.30pm following an 11am wake in the morning.

pickledgirkin Mon 29-Aug-16 14:43:04

ok thanks Fatedestiny. I'll try that. She woke up after about 25-30 mins so not a great nap but better than no nap. Can I infer anything from that? xxx

FATEdestiny Mon 29-Aug-16 15:01:01

She might be getting ready to drop the to one nap. But there's a transition period to go thro first

pickledgirkin Mon 29-Aug-16 15:59:30

I thought that happened around 15 months or so fatedestiny? Ill look up the transition period nevertheless and play it by ear! Thanks xxx

LapinR0se Mon 29-Aug-16 16:10:20

I would do 30 min nap at 9 and then nap 12-2.30, bed at 6.45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now