Talk

Advanced search

4mo sleep regression? Argh!

(8 Posts)
66Mamacita99 Sun 28-Aug-16 02:10:57

Hi all,
This is my first post... I am at the end of my tether!
My 15 week old was never a good sleeper, but was generally sleeping 3 hours, then 2 hours, then I could usually squeeze another 1 or 2 out of him! I thought this was bad, but a couple of weeks ago things got much worse. I think it started as a growth spurt as he was feeding every hour (he is ebf), but now he just wakes every hour, or even half an hour, and needs to be cuddled back to sleep. He sleeps fine on me (he is currently contentedly snoring on my chest!).
I am guessing this is the dreaded 4 month sleep regression kicking in early. How is it possible to cope with this?! I have tried co-sleeping but he still needs to be picked up constantly.
I feel miserable :-( any advice would be really appreciated!

Cavogirl Sun 28-Aug-16 02:58:37

Ok so mine is not quite there yet but it happened with my dd, now nearly 8 when she was 5-7 months - gradually improving in that time.
As she's got older she has seen a chiropractor about recurrent sore throats which has really helped and I often wonder whether she was In pain when she was little from birth trauma (very bad sleeper all the way through)and if it may have helped if i had taken her sooner.
So I'm far from an expert but I'd say, rule out other reasons and unless there's any other issues keep to whatever routine you have and it will settle.
My daughter would settle better for dh sometimes when she woke in night - I think I was stressed and stressing her.
It did end and everything was back to normal - keep as calm as you can.

I'm just waiting for ds to start !!

ChipIn Sun 28-Aug-16 03:04:50

Could anything else be the matter? Early teething perhaps, as I'm fairly certain that affected my DD because once a tooth popped through her sleep improved massively, at around the same age.
Could you get your partner to help? Works for us because DD doesn't expect boob with him whereas it's the only way I can get her back down sometimes.

66Mamacita99 Sun 28-Aug-16 03:25:50

I was wondering about teething, as he has started chewing on his finger (and mine) rather than just sucking his hand. Cant see/feel any teeth though.
We had a traumatic birth too and I do think that has a lot to do with the sleep problems.
I can't really ask my partner to help as he works such long hours it would be hard for him to be up at night too. He now sleeps in the spare room!
At the moment, I am basically packing everything up and staying with my (retired) parents in the week so that they can take him off my hands in the morning and I can get some sleep!

tigertreats Sun 28-Aug-16 03:27:15

Get yourself some sleep - sounds amazing!!

Xx

FATEdestiny Sun 28-Aug-16 14:02:53

Sounds hungry.

I feel miserable :-(

In that case give some formula bottles and a dummy. The bottles give you s proper break and the dummy allows for comfort sucking.

You aren't meant to feel miserable in these early months sad

66Mamacita99 Mon 29-Aug-16 00:41:02

I don't think it is hunger as he does not always feed when he wakes. When he does feed it is really fussy and he pulls away often.
He is not interested in a dummy at all. I have tried many times (and numerous brands).
Its not all miserable! He makes up for the lack of sleep in lots of ways - he recently started playing a game where he sticks his tongue out and if we copy him he giggles loudly! Its very cute!!

ChipIn Mon 29-Aug-16 00:57:57

Could it be reflux or wind? I've seen wedges that go under cot sheets to position baby to help with reflux (not sure whether they're recommended re SIDS though) or infants friend to help with wind?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now