Talk

Advanced search

Letting my toddler lie awake for hours?!

(8 Posts)
LionRichie Fri 26-Aug-16 06:47:09

Just turned 2 year old has a habit of wanting milk (breastfed) at around 5am, after which she’ll go back to sleep for a hour or two. I don’t get back to sleep though and I’d like to break this habit of hers!

So two weeks ago I cut her off and am now refusing to give her any milk until a more reasonable hour, after which she has to get up for the day.

She’s taken it well and there’s been no crying involved but she is still waking up early. I’ve been leaving her to roll around until 7am in the hope that she learns to go back to sleep but, so far, all I’ve achieved is a grumbly hungry toddler.

I thought I’d ask on here if anyone has tried something similar with any success?

wenchystrumpet Fri 26-Aug-16 06:51:36

Yes I did this, my daughter now sleeps well. Just gave her a quick cuddle and told her it was not morning yet.

wenchystrumpet Fri 26-Aug-16 06:52:13

Black out blinds?

LionRichie Fri 26-Aug-16 07:44:11

Thanks, yeah room is all nice and dark (so can't even use a Gro Clock thing as it's too bright and she gets ridiculously excited!). She seems to have accepted that it isn't morning so doesn't call for me. Instead she rolls around with her eyes wide open muttering to herself for over an hour!

MoonlightMedicine Fri 26-Aug-16 07:49:09

Wow imenvious of your non crying toddler! My 2.5 year old could take a leaf out of her book, she's crying every 2 hours through the night at the moment shock and has no respect for her gro-clock or my insistence that night time is for sleeping!

If she's relatively quiet, I'd definitely leave her to it OP.

TeaRexit Fri 26-Aug-16 08:24:02

Could you give her a bottle of expressed milk & see if she either goes back to sleep - full up.
Or she might be a bit hmm & never ask again!

Rachie1986 Fri 26-Aug-16 08:27:42

You can adjust light level on gro clock - goes really very low. We had success with gro clock when my daughter went through a phase of very early waking..

gubbinsy Sun 28-Aug-16 22:09:30

You can actually turn light right off on gro clock and it still lights when sun come up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now