Talk

Advanced search

Nighttime waking WHY??

(3 Posts)
claire61 Thu 25-Aug-16 22:53:16

I'll try to be brief - dd is 5 months old. We have always tried to put her in her cot awake at bedtime and for naps as we had lots of sleep trouble with her older sister so wanted her to self soothe early on. She has been great, she settles quickly each time we put her down. I bf until 4 months, but for last month have used formula, only bf at night if/when she wakes. She goes down around 6:30-7 after her last bottle and HAD been sleeping till 2-3am before waking for a feed. Sometimes she even went through til 5am. But for the last few nights she has been waking earlier and earlier and won't settle until she is fed, despite me starting to give her a dream feed around 11pm. Last night she woke at 1 (2hrs after feed) and I tried to leave her to see if she'd settle (controlled crying style) but after 30 mins she was still going strong and I gave in. Tonight she has just awoken at 10:30 pm before I even had chance for dream feed! Have given bottle now and she has gone back off to sleep.

I know she's not hungry, and I also know she is capable of falling asleep by herself, so why is she waking up??! Any help or advice would be very gratefully received!!

RNBrie Thu 25-Aug-16 22:57:27

Are you in the UK? Is she just hot and thirsty??

Could just be a growth spurt coupled with a sleep regression.

I'd try offering her cooled boiled water rather than formula. I'd then try settling her with a cuddle/rocking.

I've got three dc and when they did weird things in the night I tried really hard not to feed them otherwise you run the risk of establishing a new (bad!) habit.

Beedoo123 Thu 25-Aug-16 23:10:32

I was thinking the same, might be hot and thirsty? I know I am at the mo! grin The pp's suggestion of water sounds like a good one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now