Talk

Advanced search

1 year old screams and screams in his cot

(6 Posts)
Godotsarrived Mon 22-Aug-16 20:11:11

My grandson is 1year old and has started screaming each time we try to put him to bed.

We have tried soothing him. Tried CC and tried allowing him to fall asleep downstairs then taking up to bed. Nothing works.

He sleeps fine when he is in with me or his mum. He just won't go to bed in his cot.

At my wits end.

Any advice? Ideas? Please.

Coconut0il Tue 23-Aug-16 23:10:47

Personally I would co sleep with him for a bit. I co slept with DS1 and I'm currently co sleeping with 12 month old DS2. I find it's the easiest way to get the most sleep.

DS1 went into his cot with the side off next to my bed as the first step to getting him in to his own bed.

Nottalotta Wed 24-Aug-16 19:05:15

Has he always disliked his cot? Will he play in it while you tidy the bedroom for example? This is how I started with ds. We co slept until he could roll then he went in his cot at bedtime (asleep) and Co slept once I was in bed. Before that though his cot wad his safe place for playing while I hoovered or whatever, so he's always been happy to be in there. Now he's 1 I have started gradual withdrawal. So we do bedtime, (bath, story, milk,) then into cot awake. I sit with him til he falls asleep. I am gradually (very.....) sitting further away.

It might help to break the negative association he has with his cot first though.

fluffikins Thu 25-Aug-16 20:32:35

My dd we the same but I got over it by reading her the story in the cot, murder on the back but doable. However if I don't get her to sleep quickly after that by rubbing her back etc then she'll quickly ramp up to screaming and will only go in when she's in a deep sleep. I'm putting her on a floor bed next week as the cot is just pissjng me off now!

DollsHouseTales Thu 25-Aug-16 22:29:30

My DS did this at the same age. Finally stopped when we swapped his room from the bigger bedroom to the tiny box bedroom. I think he felt a bit lost in the bigger room.

Godotsarrived Wed 05-Oct-16 12:59:16

Lord, I have just seen these replies - thank you all. He has improved a bit and we have nights when we can put him down when he is asleep and he actually stays there, but it is hit and miss. Still haven't reached the stage where we could put him into his cot awake and the withdraw, he goes utterly yampy... It is such hard work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now