Talk

Advanced search

Pick up put down help please!

(7 Posts)
muddypuddled Sat 20-Aug-16 13:58:18

So tonight is the night, we're going for it with the pick up put down method for my 10 month old dd. I need to stop boo in her to sleep as she won't go to sleep for anyone else and as I'm going back to work she will be starting nursery soon and my dh will be putting her to bed before I get home. It worked well with my ds but that was a while ago and I can't remember much about it. So does anyone have any advice or tips with it please?

muddypuddled Sat 20-Aug-16 13:58:48

Sorry that should be boobing her to sleep.

ACubed Sun 21-Aug-16 17:54:34

Hi there, I did this recently and it was the best thing I ever did! I would feed, then lie him down in his cot. If he cried is pick him up and calm him, then put him back down. Not sure if it's cheating but letting him suck my little finger to calm down was a game changer. I found the trick is to just keep at it until they sleep, even committing a few hours to focus on it. And to not let them get too worked up, so lots of cuddles. Not sure if that's any help, but I hope it works for you! X

muddypuddled Sun 21-Aug-16 18:58:48

Thank you. We tried it last night and it worked within an hour although there were loads of tears. She was almost falling asleep every time I picked her up but I made sure she fell asleep in her cot. She only woke twice in the night too!! Woohoo! Unfortunately though we've had to put it on hold tonight as she's had a temperature and has been quite sleepy today. We think she may be starting with chicken pox as its doing the rounds here and it looks like she had a blister coming up. If it comes out over night we'll restart when she's better I think. Really wish we didn't have to go back on what we achieved last night. Dosed her up with calpol and hope she's better in the morning!

ACubed Sun 21-Aug-16 20:57:22

Oh sorry to hear that, hope she gets better! I'm sure she'll pick it up no problem, kids are great at adapting to new schedules as long as they're consistent I find. Although I only have one so not sure why I'm pretending to be an expert, bet the next one won't sleep : )

muddypuddled Mon 22-Aug-16 19:38:13

Saw the gp today and she has hand, foot and mouth so no wonder she was feeling grotty. She said once the spots all seem to be out she should start to feel her normal self again. Her mouth is sore poor thing and she will only eat cold smooth things such as yoghurt and fruit purees so I'll try again with the pupd when she's back onto proper food and boob for now to sleep to make sure she's getting enough.

Huishnish Sat 27-Aug-16 20:46:28

Hope your DD is feeling better? My DS1 had hand foot and mouth recently and it was miserable. Just wondered if you'd had a try with pupd again? Watching closely to see how you get on as I really need to do something about my DS2 feeding to sleep...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now