Talk

Advanced search

Grumpy 10 Month old having short/non existent naps - please help! 😖

(8 Posts)
BeakyB00 Tue 09-Aug-16 15:57:07

Hi, I am new to this site, so sorry if this has already been posted. This is stressing me out & desperately want some help & suggestions. Basically I had a very sleepy baby when she was small & now I just don't know what to do with her 😳!

She sleeps through the night ok & generally wakes anywhere from 6 - 7am. When I put her down for a nap she has 20 mins or so & wakes up crying & grumpy but refuses to go back to sleep. She has been like this for the last month/ 6 weeks. I am really concerned as I am going back to work soon & want her to have a predictable routine that will work at nursery & grandparents looking after her.

She recently had a taster session at nursery & they said they try & get them to sleep at 10 & 2 if possible, so they're in a routine. So I have tried this for the last week & it hasn't worked.

I feel like I've lost all my confidence in knowing when my baby is tired & when to lay her down.

Am I keeping her awake too long/not long enough?

What are your daily routines?

Do you have any suggestions ? advice? What has/hasn't worked for you.

Also, she is still breast fed & my husband has being trying to give her expressed milk in an evening (so she can get use to others feeding her when I go back to work). She just screams her head off, hardly takes any of the milk & then cries for about 30 mins before she eventually falls asleep.

I'm not oppose to CIO, we did this for 4 nights with my eldest when she was a baby & all our sleep problems were solved 😇. Wish it was that simple here. CIO seems to be working at night time, but not for naps this time.

I look forward to hearing all your comments and advice & thank you for reading.

PLEASE HELP! X

LapinR0se Tue 09-Aug-16 20:00:07

Are you feeding her to sleep?

BeakyB00 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:15:54

Thank you for replying LaplinR0se

I had done till she was about 6 months, but stopped, cause I knew it was a bit naughty. She soon seemed to settle into naps after I'd stopped doing it, it's just been these last 6 weeks or so.

LapinR0se Tue 09-Aug-16 20:19:28

There is a big sleep regression at 10 months. Nightmare.
At 10 months I was doing
Wake 6.30/7am
Nap 9.30 - 9.50
Nap 12.30 - 2.30
Bed 6.45

WeSailTonightForSingapore Tue 09-Aug-16 20:27:07

Wish I could help, but my ds did this too - he only ever had 30 min naps from 8 weeks until he was....a year old!! But that's an extreme case, and no matte what we did he never slept longer than that.

It changed shortly after he turned one, and a couple months later when we moved him to.one nap a.day - that was when he finally started sleeping longer than 30 mins!

I don't have any tips unfortunately, as we never figured it out, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Don't worry about nursery though; after the initial settling in, sleeping falls into place.

Nottalotta Tue 09-Aug-16 20:44:59

I can't help with your napping problem, but just to say my ebf ds refused a bottle. I went back to work three full days when he was 9 months, and he was fine with no milk at all during the day. He wouldn't take ebm or formula from any cup. He's just 1 and has just started drinking a reasonable amount of cows milk, having been offered it for a few weeks.

Also, dm and Mil have him when I'm at work. He sleeps for bloody hours at Mil! They have a very calm quiet house, but then when he's at home with me it's also very calm and quiet. He had a bloody three hour nap with her several times (until I pointed out that he didn't go to bed til 9.30 those nights and asked her to wake him......)

StepfauxWife Tue 09-Aug-16 20:46:56

Have you tried resettling to sleep when she starts stirring from a nap? I did this with my eldest when she was catnapping and it helped her go for longer.

No other real advice I'm afraid except to say please don't let the nursery routine add to any anxiety. My eldest didn't comply with their routine initially but within a few weeks, they had managed to get her on the same page.

Good luck!

BeakyB00 Wed 10-Aug-16 08:10:47

Thank you ladies!!!

It does feel better to know i am not the only one this is happening/has happened too with both the napping & expressed bottle feeding.

Thank you LapinR0se for your schedule.

I haven't properly tried resettling her when she wakes from a nap StepfauxWife I would reckon I would need to be in her room sharpish though when she stirs, cause she soon gets upset & then inconsolable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now