Talk

Advanced search

Milk for naps??

(14 Posts)
mrsmoomoopoopoo Tue 09-Aug-16 07:50:45

My dd is 9 months and still wants milk before her morning and afternoon nap.
Is this common for a baby of her age?
If we are out when she's due a nap she will happily sleep in car or pram without needing milk but it's just when we are at home that she wants it.

She starts nursery in 6 weeks and i know nursery will give her milk if I tell them to for naps but do you think I should start trying to wean her off milk at nap times?

Thanks

mrsmoomoopoopoo Thu 11-Aug-16 19:09:51

Anyone??

BurningGubbins Thu 11-Aug-16 19:12:19

It's not a problem is it? Why do you think you might need to wean her off?
My son was still having a glass of warm milk before his nap at 3!

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Thu 11-Aug-16 19:15:05

Does it bother you? 9 months still seems very young to me, and if she'll happily sleep in the car or buggy without it I don't see that that's a problematic sleep prop, unless it's bothering you in some way.

She will behave totally differently at nursery anyway (DS learned to sleep at nursery even though at home he'd always fallen asleep either feeding or in the sling or buggy - no trauma, he just accepted that things worked differently there) so don't feel you have to wean her off milk at nap times in preparation for that.

mrsmoomoopoopoo Thu 11-Aug-16 20:00:24

It doesn't bother me at all. I'm questioning it as my HV said I should try drop some of her milk feeds.
Then I asked friends what their LO's did at that age most said they didn't have milk for naps so I wasn't sure if I should be doing something about it.

You have both put my mind at ease so thank you smile

Diddlydokey Thu 11-Aug-16 20:03:47

I wouldn't worry. Nursery staff are magicians when it comes to naps Anyway

Newmanwannabe Sat 13-Aug-16 15:20:10

As long as she's having solids about two times a day, and you're not filling her up exclusively on milk then I don't see a problem. I would say breastfeeding mothers of the same age would still breast feed before a nap at that age. (Well I did)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 13-Aug-16 15:21:29

Ds is 15 and still drinks milk as his main drink grin

It's fine!

Andsenditsoaring Sat 13-Aug-16 15:22:45

I still bf my 9mo before naps too.

How many feeds us you hv suggesting is too many?

mrsmoomoopoopoo Sat 13-Aug-16 19:18:06

Thanks everyone.

Andsenditsoaring dd has a feed when she wakes first thing, a feed for her morning and afternoon nap and then a feed before bed.
Hv said to try cut out the afternoon nap feed but it's really hard.

FATEdestiny Sun 14-Aug-16 01:40:44

Does she feed to sleep? Because that would be a habit worth breaking. However, if it is just a drink of milk before going to sleep - there is no need to drop this, well, ever.

Having a milky drink before bedtime is something loads of people take with them into adulthood, certainly through childhood. She will probably drop her milk feeds as she drops her naps. Maybe she'll lose interest in the milk as she gets older, maybe she never will and will be a teenager asking for her cup of milky coco before bed (as I used to do!). It's all fine.

The only things to consider would be to swap the bottle of milk into a beaker and then a cup of milk. But its early to be worrying about that yet - don't start thinking about it until past 12 months old.

I'd also separate the milk drink and bedtime, so bring the milk feed downstairs and use it as a trigger for it being sleep time now - so time to go upstairs. Separating the direct link between milk and going to sleep helps make middle of the night wake-ups easier.

Also remember that once baby has teeth, teeth brushing should happen after milk at night, not before.

mrsmoomoopoopoo Sun 14-Aug-16 17:06:28

Fate she doesn't feed to sleep exactly but will become sleepy when she's had her milk and will then be laid in her cot until she falls asleep or sometimes rocked if she won't go off.

She does associate milk with sleep and I need to break this habit especially since she starts nursery in 5 weeks and I'm worried that nursery will struggle to put her down for naps.

I will try feeding her downstairs before her naps and maybe feed her before her bath instead of after at nighttime.

What do you think I should use as a comforter for sleep time if it's not going to be milk? She won't take a dummy.

Thanks

Andsenditsoaring Sun 14-Aug-16 18:40:07

Ive had to leave my 9mo unexpectedly aa few times the last few weeks. He is usually put to bed like yours - feed then cot awake but mostly drowsy.

These days I was away dh gave him a beaker of cow milk and he slept as normal. And nursery's are totally magic so they will just find their own way too

FATEdestiny Sun 14-Aug-16 22:19:34

Having milk and then going straight to bed is not recommended by dentists, it really should be separated to a degree. But I wouldn't stress too much about nursery, they will find a way.

With regards to a comforter, now is prime time to introduce a teddy, blankey, soft toy type comforter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now