Talk

Advanced search

End of tether

(6 Posts)
Rozdeek Fri 05-Aug-16 11:33:16

DS is nearly 5 months old. He is EBF. He used to be a brilliant daytime napper and an ok night sleeper - settling in his cot with dummy and white noise - but these past 2 weeks it has got worse and worse and he now screams when I put him down. So I try to rock him or feed him and he screams then too. I can sometimes rock him to sleep but it takes ages and he protests massively. The only way I can get him to sleep with no fuss is rocking him in the buggy but he has crap naps in there - wakes after 20 mins.

He's teething but I'm sure that isn't the problem here as he's fine when he isn't tired and also Max doses of calpol, neurofen, Anbesol liquid, teething gels and teething granules make zero difference.

I have tried putting him down at various times: before tired signs, after tired signs. Nothing is working. I've tried a sling. I've tried co sleeping.

I shouted at him this morning sad I'm so fucking fed up of spending half my life trying to get him to sleep.

I've had him checked out by GP and there is nothing physically wrong with him.

Please help

Rozdeek Sat 06-Aug-16 08:53:07

Hopeful bump

LapinR0se Sat 06-Aug-16 09:17:45

20 min naps means overtiredness. I know you know this, am just confirming.
What is his current routine, what do the days look like?

Rozdeek Sat 06-Aug-16 09:37:27

I try to follow the eat activity sleep routine

So he wakes any time between 6 and 7.30, it varies. He has a feed. We play. I put him down 1.5 hours after his last nap. This continues all day until bed at 6. Our bedtime routine is feed, bath, song, story, in sleeping bag with dummy, in sleepyhead, white noise playing, lights out

LapinR0se Sat 06-Aug-16 18:37:17

I think he is most likely very confused by all the different things that are going on at nap time. Rocking and feeding and slings and cosleeping all in the same timeframe.
I would try absolute ruthless consistency so that there is only one sleep association. At this age most likely shh pat or pick up put down will work best.
Just do exactly the same thing until he falls asleep for every single nap and at bedtime for a week and see how you go

Rozdeek Sat 06-Aug-16 20:03:19

lap no I am definitely not doing all those things at nap time!!! I mean those are just things I have previously tried.

We did the exact same thing for months and it always worked and it just suddenly stopped sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now