Talk

Advanced search

11 week old Baby in own room

(63 Posts)
Rockelburger Thu 04-Aug-16 22:07:24

So I want to put her in her own room as she is so noisy! but am concerned. She sleeps through from about 9/10 pm - 6/7 am. But around 3/4 starts making noises and shuffling around. She doesn't have a funny yo get to sleep but does seem to need one to settle down again at 3/4.

Am I encouraging her behaviour? If I put her in her own room will she just settle herself or will she fully wake up?

I don't want to spoil a good routine but she is keeping me awake even though she is not awake herself. I just worry at every little noise and think I might intervene too soon?

PotteringAlong Thu 04-Aug-16 22:10:14

The advice to keep them in your room until 6 months is so they can regulate their breathing against yours as a sids prevention thing. If she sleeps through but you don't does your DH/DP sleep through? Ie could you have ear plugs and they could wake you if she wakes up?

CelticPromise Thu 04-Aug-16 22:10:32

It's normal for her to wake up and need night feeds and it's safer for her to sleep in your room, partly because you are so sensitive to her. I wouldn't move her yet.

ItsASunnyDay Thu 04-Aug-16 22:12:47

I had to move my daughter into her own room at about that age purely because she'd outgrown her Moses and there was no space in our room for a cot. You know her best, so do what's best for your family. smile

PotteringAlong Thu 04-Aug-16 22:14:48

You know her best, so do what's best for your family.

Nope, actually unless she's done millions of pounds of research into it, the op doesn't know best. That's why there are guidelines; because people who know more than we do have researched them. You are completely free to ignore them, but not under the guise of "knowing best"

Summer23 Thu 04-Aug-16 22:15:03

She's doing very well with her sleeping at 11 weeks. Moving her now might disrupt this and as previous posters have said, it is advisable for babies to be in the room with you at this stage. Maybe the ear plugs idea would be worth trying! I remember the noises well.

TheRedWoman Thu 04-Aug-16 22:16:44

DS was really noisy...we moved him into his room around 8 weeks (with Angel care monitor for peace of mind). He started sleeping through from around 9 weeks (with a 10pm dreamfeed).

It really is what works for you, I found his odd snuffly noises more disturbing than his crying, as I could fix that quickly.

JontyDoggle37 Thu 04-Aug-16 22:17:33

To give the other side of the equation. We put our little boy in his own room at 12 weeks. He settled superbly, slept brilliantly (until 5 month sleep regression hit, but that's another story). All the people who bang on about having them in the same room because of SIDS risk - ask them about day time naps, you can bet they don't sit in the same room making sure their little one can hear them breathe, they go and get things done instead, often in another room. How is that different? We used an Angel Care monitor under the mattress so any breathing disruption would set off an alarm plus a video/sound monitor. We all got more rest and on the two occasions the alarm went off because he rolled right into ththe corner of his cot, his dad and I broke land speed records getting to his cot, to find him sleeping (and breathing) peacefully. With precautions I think it's fine.

Grassgreendashhabi Thu 04-Aug-16 22:17:40

Sorry but it's to do with Sudden a infant Death (SIDS). They hear you breathing and it regulates them. As strange as that sounds it's true.

Look it up

A few months of broken sleep is worth it.

Mine was very loud and she talked all nights still does whilst she is asleep but you persevere .

Please google it before you decide.

Artandco Thu 04-Aug-16 22:22:13

Jonty - Erm no, mine always napped in living room with us until almost 1 year old. The advice is same room and as you day and night. Mine were born before this advice but it's common sense to me, hence they stayed with us

Grassgreendashhabi Thu 04-Aug-16 22:24:33

Jonty -** *All the people who bang on about having them in the same room because of SIDS risk - ask them about day time naps, you can bet they don't sit in the same room making sure their little one can hear them breathe*

I did she napped in lounge with me.

My cousins baby died from SIDS , and she never got over it. So I will BANG on about it thanks

So OP the risk is yours

Broken sleep for a few more months

Or let's be harsh possibly a dead baby but a good nights sleep

PotteringAlong Thu 04-Aug-16 22:25:40

Mine napped in the living room with me usually lying on me too...

pollyblack Thu 04-Aug-16 22:28:27

I agree try to persevere in your room if possible.

I didn't know that about all sleep should be in the same room- very well for first child but ds2 slept anywhere and everywhere in the day, a lot in the pram or the car or cot while i was dealing with eldest child, playdates, housework etc.

JenLindley Thu 04-Aug-16 22:28:41

I don't want to spoil a good routine but she is keeping me awake

grin

Umm I've got news for you love....

Iizzyb Thu 04-Aug-16 22:29:16

It has to be your choice at the end of the day but my ds was in his own room - with a monitor - much earlier than that & so were several of my friends. Not heard about the regulating breathing reason - my v competent midwife couldn't give me a reason other than more likely to pick up cues if a problem if you're near them. Ds went to bed upstairs at 7. I didn't. He also had daytime naps in his room, the garden etc away from me. I also heard some horror stories about sleeping in with parents at nearer 12 mths old because they couldn't settle when on their own. I totally followed all the other sids guidelines. Wondering how sleeping in earplugs and relying on someone else to wake you up could be a workable solution. Surely you will be more cued in to noticing odd sounds from your lo?

Gillian1980 Thu 04-Aug-16 22:29:17

Jonty: my baby turns one this week and has had ALL daytime naps in the same room since the day she was born.

Not fair to assume everyone is hypocritical about night sleeping and naps!

datingbarb Thu 04-Aug-16 22:33:07

I say do what works for you!

I only know of 2 babies to actually die of SIDS (both within the last year) one was 2 other 6 weeks... Both babies slept in with parents!

My dd no2 and no3 were moved into there own room at 12 weeks

ItsASunnyDay Thu 04-Aug-16 22:33:30

Pottering I didn't say OP knows best. I said that the OP knows her baby best and to do what's best for her family. Please don't put words into my mouth.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 04-Aug-16 22:35:36

I don't think "sleeping in with parents at almost 12 months" is a horror story. It's called co sleeping.

I agree with pp who said "your baby, mum knows best" attitude is total bollocks.

We have had to push our bed to the wall to fit the cot in and can only reach half the wardrobe now, but it's only a few months.

And dd naps on the sofa with me during the day. I make a point of not tip toeing round whilst she sleeps so there are plenty of noises going on whilst she sleeps.

Artandco Thu 04-Aug-16 22:38:40

And yes baby in same room at 12 months isn't a horror story, it's normal.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 04-Aug-16 22:40:59

darting only knowing 2 babies who died does make you incredibly unfortunate. Unless you know thousands of babies. SIDS risk is v small, but of course why try to increase your chances through unsafe practices.

Generally where a SIDS tragedy occurs with baby and parent in bed together, it was not follow co sleeping best practice. Usually a parent was drunk, or sooo exhausted that they couldn't be woken by baby, or other scenarios like that. I feel your post implied the babies died directly because of co sleeping, which is quite untrue. Maybe that's not how you meant it though.

LurkyLurkerMcLurkface Thu 04-Aug-16 22:48:16

Out of curiosity, those with apnea (breathing) monitors, do you know infant CPR?

datingbarb Thu 04-Aug-16 22:52:27

Honey no not at all, I'm not saying that co-sleeping was the reason it wasn't! In fact one of the children was co- sleeping other in cot next to parents bed! Both these parents followed all the guild lines, no smoking, no drink etc etc what I'm trying to say is if it's going to happen then it's going to happen and no baby monitor thing in the world is going to save them.... This was infact confirmed by my friend who baby died doctor, the monitor can only alert you but you can not save the child, all organs have shut down and the breathing is the very last thing to go! I actually never knew this and I have spent £100 a time on these monitors for my own children

My mums baby brother died of sids as a 3 month old, my mum was 13, it death was witnessed by my mum and her mum and it actually happens in seconds

What I'm trying to say is co/sleeping, not co sleeping, your room/ own room whatever you do you cant be 100% that something like sids wouldn't happen so I think all you can do its take precautions I.e no smoke, not overheating etc and do what ever you are comfortable with in regards to where they sleep

sweetkitty Thu 04-Aug-16 22:54:38

Does no one else wake 20 times in the night just to check their breathing? I coslept with all of my babies as I would have been up and down all night checking on them (wouldn't have believed a monitor)

My instinct was to have them as close as possible to me not in another room. As for daytime naps Moses basket then travel cot in the living room with all the noise and chaos going on round about them.

datingbarb Thu 04-Aug-16 22:56:51

Sweet course my dd's are 13,11,9 and 22 months and I pop my head in to check every night still

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now