Talk

Advanced search

2 month old waking hourly

(4 Posts)
SaveMeTheWaltz Mon 25-Jul-16 17:12:07

We bath him with his big sister, then put him in pjs and sleeping bag and feed him in a darkened room (the room that he sleeps him). Sometimes feed to sleep and sometimes place him down drowsy, when he seems happy to put himself to sleep. Asleep by 8ish, then will sleep till 11 or 12. All fine, but then goes to pot from midnight onwards, waking every hour or so. I usually feed him back to sleep, only for him to wake up again as soon as placed down in co-sleeper.

He does seem to sleep a lot in the day (compared to his sister, anyway), and i wondered if this might be the culprit? e.g., today up at 5.30, down for a nap around 9am, then either napping or feeding until 3pm. playtime from 3 pm through to bedtime. I'm wondering if i need to force a proper block of waking time around midday?

FATEdestiny Tue 26-Jul-16 14:29:18

At 2 months old then awake time between one nap and the next will always be short, maybe an hour or so. 5.30am - 9am is way too long for a little one to be awake for. Definitely don't start thinking your newborn is sleeping too much. Limiting sleep will cause you more problems. Newborns sleep 16-20 hours in 24.

Have you tired a dummy? It might help baby settle in the night.

The main factors which help baby sleep are:

- Very frequent daytime feeds (to calorie load through the daytime)
- Limiting awake time during the daytime to avoid baby becoming over tired at night
- Ensuring adequate comfort - sucking (breast or dummy), secure feeling (swaddle or cuddles) and movement.

QforCucumber Tue 26-Jul-16 14:35:46

I was thinking the same about awake time, mine is 4 months old and can't go more than 2 hours awake otherwise he's overtired and doesn't sleep well at night.
Today he woke at 6am,
Napped 7:15-8:45
Napped 10-10:40
Napped 12-1:30
And will be rocked/fed/shushed for another one at about 3ish. Then bath and bed hopefully asleep by 7.
He usually only sleeps for 30 mins but is still never awake more than 2 hours.

Closetlibrarian Tue 26-Jul-16 14:42:12

Gosh, that's a very long awake time for such a wee one! Mine could barely be awake an hour at that age. So I'd usually put him down for a nap 45-60mins after wake up throughout the day. With sometimes a longer awake time right before 'bed'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now