Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop feeding to sleep

(9 Posts)
fuzzyllama Wed 20-Jul-16 21:19:31

I am at my wits end with feeding 8 month old dd to sleep. I get nothing done during the day, as she is on the go constantly in between her naps. She naps well in the day, sometimes up to two hours, however, this is with my tit in her mouth the whole frigging time. I get sore and uncomfortable and I've had enough. She also gets no comfort from anything that isn't a boob, and this bothers me too as she can't self settle for shit. I've tried pick up and put down and shh pat for naps in the day, but this hugely effected getting her down to bed, as I think she was building a negative association with her cot. She won't take a dummy, doesn't want a teddy or comforter. Am I just going to have to feed her to sleep forever or just pesevere with cot naps in the day? Basically I want someone to tell me there is some sort of miracle solution confused

Nottalotta Wed 20-Jul-16 21:24:37

I went back to work at 9 months and mum and Mil have ds three days a week. They do pram naps, and the result is feeding for naps has mostly stopped working. He's 1 this week and feeding to sleep at night is getting unreliable too. I have started singing and cuddling and this seems to work. I will be doing gradual retreat in a few weeks.......

jessplussomeonenew Wed 20-Jul-16 21:44:10

You could try the Pantley pull off

Coconut0il Wed 20-Jul-16 22:31:03

DS1 fed to sleep till he was between 12 and 18 months. Then we moved on to singing and cuddling. I'm planning on doing the same with DS2, 11 months, I still feed him to sleep and he has naps on me if I'm at home. I try to get a few jobs done when DP is home to amuse him, only attempt the bare minimum when I'm alone.

I've been back at work this week and DS2 has had his naps in the pushchair. DP either goes for a walk or pushes him back and forth in the house. Cot naps never happened with DS1 and don't even attempt them with DS2. I don't mind the feeding to sleep or the nap laps, it's an excuse to sit down and relax. If you want to stop I would start with daytime naps but these don't have to be in the cot if something else works. Self settling comes eventually some babies just do it later.

fuzzyllama Thu 21-Jul-16 08:20:28

Naps on me during the day would be more tolerable if she wasn't suckling the whole time, she's blistered one of my nipples from repeatedly pulling off before unlatching and it hurts as much as it did in the early days.

I've not seen the pantley pull off before. Worth a try, I used to unlatch her when she was sleeping but she'd soon ping her eyes open and wouldn't settle until nipple was replaced.

seri0usly Sun 24-Jul-16 13:26:39

We've been doing pantley's pull off and it does work for us. Unlatch them and push their chin up with your finger for a moment...it can take several tries sometimes. I can now transfer DS into the cot once he's been fed to sleep. I'm working on unlatching him then cuddling him tight/slight rocking for the last bit so he's getting used to NOT feeding to sleep. I also use the pram & car so as to vary how he falls to sleep. It's slow progress though and I wonder how to make further progress! My son is now napping well in the cot in the day and is staying in his cot through the night (albeit 2-6 wakings).

Is she getting enough milk? At times I'm sure my son has refused to unlatch and continually suckles to build supply and because his tummy is not quite full enough.

Good luck!

fuzzyllama Thu 28-Jul-16 11:31:10

I've been trying the pantley pull off but to no avail, she just wakes up and won't resettle. The last two days I've resorted to rocking her to sleep and cuddling until she wakes, as she's blistered both my nipples and it hurts too much to have them constantly suckles on for hours at a time. She's not happy with the rocking and cries throughout until about 5 minutes before she falls asleep where she just vacantly stares at me until she goes out. No idea of what I'm doing is right, but I'm all out of ideas.

seri0usly Sat 30-Jul-16 21:30:02

What happens if you put her down in her cot whilst drowsy?

You definitely can't have her damage your nipples so you're doing the right thing by cuddling instead.

fuzzyllama Sat 30-Jul-16 21:34:49

If we put her down drowsy as opposed to fully asleep, she sits up and screams, or will stand up at the side and work herself up. I'm really hoping it will just come in time that she can nod off on her own, but she's getting towards 9 months now and it doesn't seem like it will come any time soon, I don't even know how to get the ball rolling with self settling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now