Talk

Advanced search

Please help - toddler won't sleep any more.

(1 Post)
newmumwithquestions Thu 14-Jul-16 17:20:10

DD is 22 mo and has always been a bit difficult with sleep. She needs her bedtime routines, gets very upset if you try to do things (eg milk, teeth, book) in a different order for example. Has 2 favourite toys and kicks off if they aren't in the cot. If we let her fall asleep in her pushchair or car seat when out and about then she'll sleep for 20 mins then scream and refuse any other kind of nap for the rest of the day.

But we've worked with her foibles and we were in a routine of 9-10 hours at night and a long (2-3 hour) afternoon nap. It worked. It was good. Any illness throws her out but excluding this she has slept through for over a year.

But then suddenly she just started to refuse to sleep. Nap or nighttime she's having an hour then screaming for me. She's screaming when OH or I leave the room when first put down but will then settle for an hour but once she wakes up she won't self-settle. She also often takes her sleeping bag and nappy off - these will either be in the cot or thrown out into the room (don't know if this is relevant). If I don't go in when she wakes she just gets louder and louder and is really upset. If I go in she wants picked up and comforted. I don't want to pick her up all the time so I'm giving her a hug without picking her up, then telling her to lie back down. She has never ever been comforted by a simple visit (even as a baby) the only thing that comforts her is staying in the room.

I can't do this. I'm currently lying on her floor shushing... She's gone quiet and I know will eventually go to sleep if I stay here, but I can hear 7 mo has woken up from her nap and is chatting away which will crescendo to being upset in about 5 mins so I'm going to have to go. I spent 4 hours lying here last night. I'm knackered.

She gets like this when she's ill but she's not, no temperature, no snotty nose, etc. it's been days so if it was illness we'd know by now.

Did we break the toddler? Please tell me how to fix her again? I am a zombie.

The power of Google suggests that this could be separation anxiety, but what do we do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now