Talk

Advanced search

Will my baby ever nap for longer than 45 minutes?

(24 Posts)
hummusigotthehummus Tue 12-Jul-16 14:40:17

She's now 8 months. I keep torturing myself thinking how great it would be to have 2 solid hours to myself, even 1.5. Should I just give up hope?

Catnaps are the pits. angry

Purpleboa Tue 12-Jul-16 17:38:09

Do not despair! My DD is 12 months and does a two hour nap in her cot, which is bliss - given that only 2 months ago, she'd only do more than 30 minutes if it was on me.

What worked for us was nursery - she started napping for longer there and it's rubbed off at home. But i honestly never felt we would get there. I hope this reassures you that there's light at the end of the napping tunnel!

familyfarm Tue 12-Jul-16 17:43:58

She will eventually. My 2 year old is having a nap, and has been asleep for 3 hours+ and doesn't want to wake up!

hummusigotthehummus Tue 12-Jul-16 19:21:27

Oh I do hope so then! Every now and again she'll nap for over and hour and I think AHA THIS IS IT! But it never lasts.

She's still up 2-3 times in the night aswell so I could really do with the downtime tbh!

NapQueen Tue 12-Jul-16 19:23:20

I used "wake to sleep" with dd and would rouse her ever so gently at about 40 mins which would then send her into another 45 min cycle (even I seem to nap to a 45 min cycle). It didn't take long to then not have to do this and she would automatically do two 45misn back to back.

Ifiwasabadger Tue 12-Jul-16 19:33:50

Mine took almost 9months. Now she's three she naps for 3 hours every day. Total heaven.if she had done this at the start she might not be an only child!

Tinks15 Tue 12-Jul-16 19:43:27

I'm still waiting and my DD is 12 months. confused (Hi Purple - named changed used to be HollyC2555552). Hope all is well with you!

Cric Tue 12-Jul-16 19:48:05

Mine started the long naps when she was walking (13-14 months)! Fingers crossed for you!

Dutchcourage Tue 12-Jul-16 19:50:28

Yes it's easy!!!

Around 30 mins in gently disturb but not to the point of wake up and they will go off into another sleep cycle.

It really is that piss easy

FifiFerusha Tue 12-Jul-16 19:52:04

Mine started to take longer naps at about 9 months. Had the odd long one before that but nothing consistent. Coincided with crawling really. It will happen x x

lifeisaconundrumattimes Tue 12-Jul-16 19:52:43

Dutch - we tried that a LOT with my DS and he'd just wake up! It didn't work for him.

He eventually started taking longer naps when he was about 13/14 months. It's lovely. Your DC will get there!! Promise smile

Dutchcourage Tue 12-Jul-16 19:58:34

life you must have been doing it wrong grin

Doboopedoo Tue 12-Jul-16 21:41:36

Wake to sleep didn't work for us either, it did on the odd occasion but not enough to change things. Not all babies are the same!
I ended up leaving DD to it and she now naps for at least an hour 90% of the time. I think it was a developmental thing rather than anything I did. Happened at 9/10 months when she started rolling and practising crawling. I feel your pain though OP as her catnaps were driving me crazy - so frustrating!!

Doboopedoo Tue 12-Jul-16 21:42:58

Just noticed Fifi on this thread - hi! There's an old thread of ours where we try to sort out cat naps and we have both got there. You will too!

FifiFerusha Tue 12-Jul-16 21:47:55

I have gotta go with life. I tried with any and every method I could for four months in an attempt to extend naps. Sometimes it worked( fluke, never became habit). Mostly it didn't. Maybe it was just my DS but I really think for most babies the longer nap is developmental, and yes some are different and sleep longer from an early age and yes, some do get there quicker with help. But it isn't black and white. I genuinely wished I waited and didn't waste my time extending naps. It didn't work consistently or create habit. You were lucky Dutch and I am very jealous. But for me it became Stressful and he got there in his own time x x x after threading out and about on here that is quite common. But I always say it, they are all different x x x

FifiFerusha Tue 12-Jul-16 21:50:34

Ha, yes hello hello doboopedoo. Glad you came to my support. Yes we got there. . Not sure anything we did helped mind x but hey we tried didn't we? X

rumbelina Wed 13-Jul-16 06:26:35

DS only ever napped for about 35 mins max as a baby. Once he started walking it went up to 1.5 hours so hang on in there!

Fomalhaut Wed 13-Jul-16 12:10:37

Ds naps for less than an hour and wakes between ten mins-1 hour through the night too. We've tried wake to sleep, and every other method out there, except shutting the door and leaving him to it.
Nothing's worked. I live in a fog of exhaustion and my health is suffering. God knows how I'll manage going back to work.
Sorry, that's probably not much help!

hummusigotthehummus Wed 13-Jul-16 13:21:08

life you must have been doing it wrong

That's quite an annoying thing to say even with a smiley at the end..

Thanks everyone, I hope she'll "get it" at some point, she's so tired all day it's so frustrating!

Dutchcourage Wed 13-Jul-16 14:05:59

Ah op tiredness has clearly took all your humour away. sad

Here have wine

Redhead79 Thu 14-Jul-16 18:27:55

Sounds the same as us 40 min naps (if we're lucky, she has been known to do 25) and usually 2-3 wakings at night too.
Catnaps really are the pits!!

Ifiwasabadger Thu 14-Jul-16 20:06:45

Dutch you are a lovely individual aren't you.

Dutchcourage Fri 15-Jul-16 23:53:38

Why if? What have I said that's so negative or nasty? Why does any of what I have said merit your sarky/nasty response?

Some one took offence to me making a joke. It's wasn't outrageous or offensive - they didn't take it in jest like it was meant.

Get over yourself

lovemakespeace Sun 17-Jul-16 05:30:30

My first boy took 10 months. He was an awesome napper from them on until he went to nursery at 3 y 2 months. Hang in there!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now