Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where does your baby sleep in the evening?

(44 Posts)
loosechange Fri 08-Jul-16 21:09:03

I'm curious. The older DC slept in their rooms with a baby monitor, but the guidelines now state they should sleep in the same room as you for six months

Dbaby currently sleeps, (or fusses) in the sitting room, but it's not dark,and whilst there are no wild parties we watch television or chat, hardly the quietened voices and darkened rooms recommended.

What do others do?

Littleelffriend Fri 08-Jul-16 21:10:14

I'm watching with interest. My 9 week old stays up in the living room until about 10 then we both go to bed.

shitwithsugaron Fri 08-Jul-16 21:13:06

We had this problem. DD settled a lot better when we put her to bed in our room at a set time and used the monitor. I'd say she was around 12 weeks or so when we started doing this, before she was in the living room with us and was quite unsettled. I think she was telling us she was ready for a better routine and she thrived.

Artandco Fri 08-Jul-16 21:19:09

Our slept in living room with us until around 1 year. They just slept on sofa or on blankets on the floor

Coconut0il Fri 08-Jul-16 23:26:57

DS2 stayed downstairs with us till he was about 3/4 months then he would not settle at all unless he was upstairs in bed. Generally I stayed with him and read/Internet in bed.

dinodiva Sat 09-Jul-16 08:07:22

DD had her own bedtime by around 8ish weeks I think, once she outgrew her Moses basket (91st centile) and it became obvious she wanted to go to sleep rather than catnap, and the hardcore evening cluster feeding stopped.
She also moved into her own room at 3.5 months.
They are guidelines and not rules, so do what you feel comfortable with. I found that I needed my evenings back, if only for an hour or so. I couldn't sleep properly with her in the room and also physically struggled feeding her in bed (I have a bad back) so was much more comfortable on a chair in her room.

Babysafari Sat 09-Jul-16 21:53:06

I think we started putting him upstairs for bed, in our room but in his basket at about 10 weeks. I think he settled better in the dark quiet room.

Babysafari Sat 09-Jul-16 21:54:26

We still slept in the same room he was only up there alone for a couple of hours.

datingbarb Sat 09-Jul-16 21:55:54

All 4 of mine were put up in Moses/cot in my room around 7/8pm from 6 weeks old, I tended to go up around 10pm

UmbongoUnchained Sat 09-Jul-16 21:55:58

Mine slept on my chest until I went to bed. We did this until 10 months. Then she went into my bed with guards up. We co slept till 18 months and she went into her own bed with no problems smile

ImGoingToTeabagYourDrumKitDale Sat 09-Jul-16 21:57:59

I would sit on the sofa and let him sleep on me and snuggle in till his 10pm feed then we would go to bed blush

Even know I let DS snuggle in to me and sleep if he wants to and he is nearly 2. blush

I think I'm addicted to cuddles.

Artandco Sat 09-Jul-16 22:03:14

Ds1 is currently asleep on dhs lap on the sofa. He's 6. 6 years! grin

WipsGlitter Sat 09-Jul-16 22:08:38

We kept them both in the sitting room with us until we went to bed. This lasted until early they were a few months. I think it's one of the reasons they can now both sleep through lots of noise. We didn't make any real effort to keep the noise down. I once saw someone posting here who did this but kept the sound on the to off and read subtitles. I was shock

NapQueen Sat 09-Jul-16 22:10:10

8wo they went into our room.

DiggersRest Sat 09-Jul-16 22:11:08

Up to their cot from 4-6 weeks. My babies needed quiet and dark for their night sleep. Both sleep/slept 12 hours from young so it works for us.

NB 12 hours with a couple of wake ups for feed/dummy but not up for the day before stupid o'clock!

CraftyPenguin Sat 09-Jul-16 22:12:35

DD is 10 months old and still stays downstairs with us having cuddles blush we're going to try putting her up in her cot in the evenings next weekend.

Glomerulus Sat 09-Jul-16 22:18:48

We introduced 7pm bedtime at 9/10 weeks- it was too busy downstairs and baby was getting cranky. Much better for them and us now they're getting proper sleep - we use a monitor and check in every 20 minutes or so. I understand the guidelines and the reasons behind them, but they do seem to disregard the baby's need for sleep somewhat hmm

Coffeelover56 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:19:07

We put DS to bed in our room from about 7 weeks. He usually falls asleep at around 7.30pm. He sleeps so much better and I'm able to spend quality time with DP. I used to keep checking on him when he was in his moses basket though. Since moving into the cot at 11wks we've been able to use the angelcare monitor with the sensor pad so I stopped checking on him as I knew he was alive! He's 4.5 months now and still in our room. HTH.

welshweasel Sat 09-Jul-16 22:23:41

We started bedtime routine at 10 weeks so bath at 6 then feed and to bed in our bedroom with monitor on. It was a huge turning point for me in that we got our evening back and I felt so much better. He now goes to sleep in his own room but we bring him back in with us when we go to bed. He's almost 6 months and we are thinking about moving him into his own room permanently.

DowntonDiva Sun 10-Jul-16 07:36:49

Similar to Diggers. DD been in her room since around 6 weeks. There is a double bed in her room and either DP or I alternate to sleep in with her. She was so over stimulated and really struggling to sleep when we kept her in the living room with us so we now put her to bed in her room around 6.30pm and use the baby monitor. She's a good sleeper and after some light sleep training at 9 weeks (pick up put down) she regularly sleeps until 5.30am with a dream feed at 11pm.

Tumtitum Sun 10-Jul-16 14:28:07

DD sleeps in own room from 7ish and has done from about 16 weeks (now 22). No way would she settle downstairs with us, she wants to be involved! For a few weeks I just went to bed with her around 8-9 but she started getting tired earlier and I needed some of my evening back!

catsofa Sun 10-Jul-16 14:42:09

We stuck to the safe sleeping guidelines and DS slept in the living room with us until 6 months. He really didn't care about noise and lights, although we did dim the lights a bit. He slept better with the tv or something on, I think constant noise was less disturbing than if we'd been silent for e.g. 15 mins and then made a noise getting up to make a brew or something.

I couldn't have got comfortable downstairs knowing that he wasn't safe upstairs!

Fomalhaut Sun 10-Jul-16 19:53:28

About ten weeks he stopped catnapping and wanted a longer stretch so he went in the crib in our room with a video monitor. Until then he'd just been downstairs with us.

Devonjade Sun 10-Jul-16 20:35:24

My DD is 10 weeks. For the last couple of weeks she has a bath, feed then to bed in her cot in our room around 7. No definite time but we go through that routine each evening. We use the monitor and check frequently. I tend to go to bed early (around 9pm) as I'm always shattered anyway so only use the monitor for a couple of hours. We find this routine signals bedtime - like others we can dim he lights etc upstairs and find this is better than having her sleep amongst all the noise downstairs.

We got to the point where she wasn't sleeping well in her Moses basket so she needed to move to her cot which is massive so is upstairs

Devonjade Sun 10-Jul-16 20:36:57

She does have her sleepyhead in her cot too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now