Talk

Advanced search

6 month old suddenly hungry at night

(8 Posts)
Partiallycloudy Fri 08-Jul-16 16:15:39

Hi all,
My DD slept through the night from about 10 weeks old and i mean all night...from 7pm till 7am.
Then recently (Past 2-3 weeks) she has been waking once a night and i can only get her to settle by giving her a bottle.
We've been weaning since last week so kind of hoped that would help her sleep through but it hasn't. She has 5 bottles (7oz) a day and porridge at breakfast and pureed vegetables for dinner.
We have tried Water and settling her without a bottle but nothing works.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas to get her to sleep through again????? PLEASE!!

Gillian1980 Fri 08-Jul-16 17:13:21

I would imagine she's just having a growth spurt and needs the extra milk for a few days.
My DD does that for a few days every now and then but then goes back to normal.
I'd just go with it and not worry unless it goes on for ages and ages.
Lots of babies still need at least one feed a night at that age so if anything I think we got off lightly with having periods of sleeping through!

LadyBrightside Fri 08-Jul-16 17:20:46

If she's waking 'cos she's hungry then you need to feed her - she's only 6 months old!

hillyhilly Fri 08-Jul-16 17:22:51

DS did it, it soon settled down once he started to eat well. Try a late night snack/ bottle, it is simply a need for more calories

BrexitentialCrisis Fri 08-Jul-16 17:25:51

She's so small to have ever slept through at all op! You were very lucky; it could be that now things are changing in that she is processing more in her head and digesting food for the first time. She may be having a growth spurt or a wonder week or some teeth issues. She may be realising that she is all alone and just needs some reassurance.
If it helps, my first one woke up once a night for a year and you do get used to it; just don't be tempted to check Facebook or mess about on your phone because before you know it, the sun will be coming up! My second one is up every two hours through the night usually so do take some solace that it really could be much, much worse. It sounds like you've been blessed with a good sleeper - as far as you can expect anyway! Good luck- it may be just a phase and she might be back to normal in a few days.

Partiallycloudy Fri 08-Jul-16 17:36:29

Thanks for all responses. I know we have had it very easy with her sleeping through so early on so we are grateful for that! Just seems strange that she would suddenly need a night fed when she hasn't had one for months!
We did think growth spurt when she first started waking up but as its gone on for a few weeks now we didn't know if it had become habit.
And obviously we feed her whenever she is hungry.

OnlyEatsToast Fri 08-Jul-16 20:41:44

sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that you wouldn't feed her!!! Just that sometimes you need to simplify things and if she's needing an extra bottle at night then all you have to do is provide that, even though it's a change of behaviour for you. Weaning doesn't necessarily mean that the food in her tummy will 'last her' longer than a bottle/bf would.

OnlyEatsToast Fri 08-Jul-16 20:42:28

(sorry have name changed halfway through this thread)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now