Newborn always sleeping

(20 Posts)
Marymaymay Sun 03-Jul-16 18:03:12

We have a beautiful 5 day old baby girl. She seems to just wake for a feed (EBF) every 4 hrs or so and then cry a little and go back to sleep. She has a couple of waking periods throughout a 24 hr period of about an hour or so and maybe 3-4 shorter periods of 10 minutes.

She was delivered by EMCS 12 days early on Monday.

She's sleeping in bed with me as otherwise she doesn't sleep at home. She can sleep for ages in the car seat/carrycot as long as we're moving, otherwise she wakes and is unsettled until she is fed

She's ben checked for jaundice (not because of the sleeping but yellowed eyes) and has a very low level case which does not require treatment.

I know it's hard to say what's 'normal' in this kind of situation but just wanted to know if anyone else had a baby who was similar. My other DD had hugely different sleep patterns.

ProbablyMe Sun 03-Jul-16 18:11:35

My 8 week old basically slept for 6 weeks. It didn't last!

underrugsswept Sun 03-Jul-16 18:13:52

My DS slept for the first two weeks except for feeds, which I had to wake him for. He woke up around day 14 and was a nap dodger for the next 12 months!

Marymaymay Sun 03-Jul-16 18:14:11

make the most of it then I guess ?!

29redshoes Sun 03-Jul-16 18:15:32

4 hours is quite a long time between feeds at that age, especially if you're breastfeeding. Has she been weighed since you left hospital? Does she have wet and dirty nappies?

My baby also had mild jaundice and we had to wake her up to feed in the first couple of week as she became quite sleepy.

BathshebaDarkstone Sun 03-Jul-16 18:18:57

I'd wake her up every 2 hours for a feed during the day, then let her sleep at night.

Artandco Sun 03-Jul-16 18:19:23

Newborns do sleep a lot. However I do also think 4 hrs is a long time in between feeds in the day for a week old baby. I would be feeding every 2 hours during the day and 4 hours at night

puglife15 Sun 03-Jul-16 19:05:24

Should be 8-12 feeds a day really.

But yes I actually asked GP at my 8 week check as DC2 slept so much...

Now at18 weeks I yearn for those days - his naps today have been 30 mins long and last night he didn't sleep until 1.30am!

scoobyloobyloo Sun 03-Jul-16 19:27:13

Sorry, 4 hrs should be 2 hrs - lots of cluster feeding too so at least 12-16 feeds every 24 hrs. Lots of Wet and dirty nappies too.

Think I may just be a total neurotic as we lost her twin at 32 weeks and she was ivf so think I still can't really believe she is here and ok...

scoobyloobyloo Sun 03-Jul-16 19:28:11

Sorry - I'm OP! The hack means I'm now one name on one device and another on my phone.

29redshoes Sun 03-Jul-16 20:07:58

Oh if it's every two hours and you're getting good nappy output I think you're fine!

Congratulations on your baby, and sorry for your loss flowers

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Sun 03-Jul-16 20:12:15

I know what a worry it is, my C-Section DD slept for the first 3 weeks, I made sure I set an alarm on my phone so we were always waking her for feeds (with difficulty) so that her blood sugar didn't drop too low, and stayed in the same room as her when she was asleep to try and minimise the risks.

She then got colic which ended that phase (and started a new also fun one)
TBH at least with the colic I knew she was okay, it's a worry when newborns sleep too deeply

waitingforsomething Mon 04-Jul-16 07:43:42

Both my kids slept for the first 6 weeks, waking for feeds only and a couple of very short awake times per day. As long as she is feeding, gaining weight then enjoy it for a few weeks!

PotteringAlong Mon 04-Jul-16 07:46:13

Don't knock it...

Icklepickle101 Mon 04-Jul-16 07:48:59

My DS didn't open his eyes u too day 5!!! And then it was still a rare occurrence for about 2 weeks. By 3 weeks he was well and truly awake!!

Enjoy the peace while it lasts and congratulations!!

ItsyBitsyBikini Mon 04-Jul-16 08:00:05

My 3 wk old slept constantly for the first 2 weeks. Now going through a growth spurt and has grunting baby syndrome apparently so doesn't sleep as much during feeds anymore. As long as you have your wet and dirty nappies and feeding between 2 and 4 hours I think you're fine.
Congratulations on your baby and I'm very sorry for the loss of her twin flowers

puglife15 Mon 04-Jul-16 09:41:48

That sounds like plenty of feeds, newborns can sleep 21 hours a day so even if she was only awake for 15 mins per feed/nappy change/etc that would be totally standard.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost one of your babies. It's completely understandable that you would worry about this and totally normal, I worried about everything and had a very straightforward pregnancy.

scoobyloobyloo Thu 07-Jul-16 18:05:54

Thanks all, saw mw today who said she's fine. She's been awake for 3 hrs already today so looks like she's starting to wake up!

user1467554098 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:01:13

I have a 8 week old. I was sooo worried as al he seemed to do is eat and sleep for the first 5 weeks or so, now he has woken! It is worrying though even though it is perfectly normal, I missed him when he was sleeping! Even now he has awake days and sleepy days, you will notice differences and progression in him as the days go by. Try not to worry X

user1467554098 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:01:55

Her sorry X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now