Talk

Advanced search

Nap schedule changing

(7 Posts)
MyBreadIsEggy Sun 03-Jul-16 14:21:15

My Dd is 14 months old. For a long time now, she has been doing really well with two naps during the day. She usually wakes at 6/6:30am, goes down for a nap at 9:30am and wakes at 11am, then goes down again at 2:30pm and wakes at 4pm. Bed at 7:30pm - sleeps through until 6/6:30am.
But the last 2 weeks or so, it seems as if two naps are too many, but one nap is not enough - so I've been sticking to two naps, and just dealing with the fight that come with the afternoon nap.
Earlier in the week I had unavoidable plans in the afternoon, that ran into dd's usual afternoon nap time, so I decided to try only one nap. I gave her an early lunch at 11am and then she fell asleep on the way upstairs to her cot at 11:30. I hoped she would be out for at least an hour and half as usual, but the little monkey woke after only an hour! I tried resettling her back to sleep, but she wasn't having any of it! So she ended up being awake from 12:30pm until bed time confused resulting in a very unhappy toddler!
What would you do??
Should I dive straight in tomorrow with one nap and use next week to try and make that a new routine and hope she starts sleeping for longer? Or make either the usual morning or afternoon nap half an hour shorter - so only let her sleep for 1 hour rather than 1.5 hrs for one nap and then let her have the full 1.5 hrs for the other?
This has really thrown me for six because she's been such a consistent napper for months and months!!

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 03-Jul-16 18:31:44

Bumping....because I really want to try and crack this tomorrow! Just need some words of wisdom

waitingforsomething Mon 04-Jul-16 07:48:33

Why don't you try reducing the morning nap to 30/40 mins in preparation for dropping it in the next couple of months?
I would give her a nap 9.30-10 then another from 1.30-3/3:30 (hopefully). She then should eventually be able to go without the morning one and you can go for 1 from around 12 or 12.30.

It's probably a bit much for her to go from 1.5 hours in the morning to nothing with no gradual wind down. Good luck smile

NapQueen Mon 04-Jul-16 07:51:26

Defiantly cut back the AM nap. I read sleep cycles are 45mins long so I'd wake her after 45mins.

Afternoon nap at 12.30/1pm for as long as she needs.

PotteringAlong Mon 04-Jul-16 07:52:58

I agree. Morning nap is too long - make it shorter and go from there.

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 04-Jul-16 08:32:15

Thank you!!
Yesterday I was driving home from my mums which takes about an hour, so set off at 9:30, got home at 10:30 and she slept the whole way. She was really tired by her normal nap time at 2:30, and slept until 4:10.
I think I will try that again today smile

LapinR0se Mon 04-Jul-16 12:45:03

I definitely would shorten the morning nap right down and then aim for an earlier lunchtime nap.
So for example 9.30 - 10 morning nap; lunchtime nap 1 - 3 or 12.30 to 2.30.
Then 7pm bedtime and you might get a later wake up as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now