Talk

Advanced search

how old for own room

(25 Posts)
Rockelburger Sun 03-Jul-16 11:27:40

How old were your babies when you put them in their own cot in own room?

I'm a first time mum to a 6 week old baby girl and not sure when I should be thinking about it. Do you wait until they sleep through the night without feeds (when is that roughly) or will putting them in their own room away from us help them to sleep through? Aware that my husbands snoring must disturb her!

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 03-Jul-16 11:35:17

The guidelines are that she should be in with you until 6 months....but my Dd was about 4.5 months.
She was only waking for one feed in the night so wasn't really a PITA to go to a different room to feed her. Our main reasoning for moving her was that both Dd and DH are loud sleepers!! They both roll over like a pair of elephants trying to do ballet, both wimper and make weird noises in their sleep, so kept waking each other, and me up!! When we moved her into her own room, everyone slept much more soundly. I got a video monitor with a temperature display on it so I had peace of mind smile

MozzchopsThirty Sun 03-Jul-16 11:36:22

SIDS guidance is 6 months so stick to that if you can

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 03-Jul-16 11:37:25

And the question about night feeding - every baby is different!! My Dd dropped down to only having one feed at night at around 4.5 months, and then stopped waking for that at about 7 months. My sister's DS stopped his night feeds at about 12 weeks, and my friends DD is still having night feeds at 10 months!,

ChoccyJules Sun 03-Jul-16 11:49:22

DD was three months, we got no sleep up to then as were tuning in to her every breath and snuffle. Her room was about 6 feet from ours. We used a monitor for a bit but could hear her the same without it. At the time (nearly 8 yrs ago) there was stuff around online saying babies may copy parents' breathing and that's what helped protect aganst SIDS but no specific advice. So at the time we weren't going against anything, from your OP I sense there is now more stringent advice? I think every parent does what they feel they need to, I still go in and check on her occasionally in the night now, as you never stop worrying. So if it makes you feel calmer to keep her with you, do that.

NerrSnerr Sun 03-Jul-16 11:54:37

The sids guidelines suggest 6 months so that's what we did. She slept where we were until then (so downstairs until we went to bed)

Batteriesallgone Sun 03-Jul-16 11:57:18

SIDS guidance says they should be in with you until 6m old. It's on the NHS website, it's a genuine way of reducing risk.

Also I don't believe normal human noises like snoring disturb babies. Babies are too young for civilisation they are a bundle of evolved instincts. The vast majority of human history families would have shared rooms and slept together. If anything, I would have thought a lack of other people's breathing etc would be disturbing for babies.

My 18m old still wakes about 3/4 times a night for feeds. I plan to feed on demand until she is at least two years old.

Every child is different - I've know ones that sleep through at 6weeks, others that don't sleep through until 4 years! And from what I've seen amongst friends and family breastfeeding doesn't make a difference either - if they aren't a sleeper, they just aren't!

HopperBusTicket Sun 03-Jul-16 12:07:43

Eldest son went into his own room at about 4 months as we had a big cot in our room and we couldn't put the radiator on and the weather got cold. Youngest son was 6 months as per guidance. People have put babies in their own rooms younger than that for many years so I wouldn't panic about doing it younger if you don't have other SIDS risks. I find when you're doing night feeds it is easier to have them in your room. I doubt your husband's snoring disturbs the baby. She might even like it and find it comforting! And I have always found young babies very noisy sleepers (snuffling and farting) so it's more likely she will disturb you!

MozzchopsThirty Sun 03-Jul-16 12:39:08

Sorry batteries but if your 18m old is waking 4 times a night then they're either not eating enough during the day or you've encouraged it.
I've got 3dcs and 3 sleepers, I think it's about how it's managed and what you'll tolerate as a parent
Don't get me wrong we've had periods of regular waking but it's nipped in the bud

Batteriesallgone Sun 03-Jul-16 13:04:58

Check out the university of Durham sleep research if you think an 18m old waking regularly is unusual. It's really not. People just generally don't 'admit it' for fear of judgement and being given unwanted 'advice' like 'just let them cry'. www.isisonline.org.uk

I don't know what you mean by encouragement. I breastfeed on demand per WHO recommendations. She eats plenty of solid food in the day. Water is available. I won't leave her to cry in the night anymore than in the day. I love her. I love cuddling her. She will sleep when she's ready.

Personally I would never use sleep training techniques or stop breastfeeding before a child has all their teeth. The chance of them waking due to pain is just too high for me. I'd feel awful denying comfort to a baby in pain, even mild early-teething discomfort (rather than screaming-banshee tooth eruption pain).

MozzchopsThirty Sun 03-Jul-16 13:56:50

Well as long as it's not a problem for you batteries then it doesn't matter smile

angryangryyoungwoman Sun 03-Jul-16 14:06:41

Mine also woke 3-4 times a night to feed until she was 26 months old. She ate well during the day. One night it just seemed to click and now she sleeps from 6-6 or 7-7.

ImGoingToTeabagYourDrumKitDale Sun 03-Jul-16 14:09:52

My nearly 2 year old is still in my bedroom in a cot blush

In my defence I live in a studio flat at the moment and am awaiting a 3bed house purchase to go through.

Also he didn't sleep through till about 20months, every child is different.

Me624 Sun 03-Jul-16 15:32:01

My DS went in his own room last week, he is 4 months. He had grown out of his Moses basket and his cotbed won't fit in our bedroom. However we are lucky in that he dropped his night feeds at 8 weeks. In our room he was still waking 2-3 times a night and needed settling, since he's been on his own it's once or not at all - he's slept all the way through 4 times now.

As for me, I'm sleeping soooo much better! He is such a noisy sleeper and really kept me up. I don't mind getting up to settle him as I sleep so much better the rest of the time.

Lules Sun 03-Jul-16 15:38:35

Mine was about 3 months or maybe even younger which I know is young and contrary to guidelines, but he'd grown out of his Moses basket (massive baby) and there wasn't space for a cot in our bedroom. I also sleep very lightly so I would wake up every time he moved or snuffled. I slept loads better once he was in his room (which was right next door and we kept the doors open). So it's really up to you.

Lules Sun 03-Jul-16 15:47:03

When they sleep through the night also really varies between babies, and I've found goes in waves anyway, depending on growth spurts/teething/colds/changes in routine etc

Batteriesallgone Sun 03-Jul-16 20:49:45

Mozz I'm happy with my parenting but a little hmm a the suggestion I'm not feeding my child enough. Not feeding your child enough is a pretty basic failure to meet needs and isn't an accusation to be taken lightly. I know it's an old line that gets trotted out about sleep 'problems' but it's hugely unfair and guilt-inducing to tell parents 'if your child doesn't sleep well they are hungry'. And from what I've heard - and the research I've read - nearly always untrue.

Rockelburger Mon 04-Jul-16 03:54:44

Thanks everyone. I hadn't realised the 6 month thing was an anti SIDS thing, I will def wait till 6 months then.

No one tells you how much a baby farts, I find it hilarious the noise that comes out of her. Pretty cute little thing then she lets rip shock

She is only waking once for a feed now and has been for a few weeks so I'm getting 5/6 hours of solid sleep which seems amazing to me. Think I have been lucky so far. I have a Chico next to me on the bed so just pull her over for a feed.

I have also got up and changed her then fed her as someone said to me that they won't feed if in a dirty nappy but she only ever wees in the night so does that count as dirty or does that just mean pooey ones?

GreenRut Mon 04-Jul-16 05:52:29

I'm with you batteries, 3 dc here, all received the same 'treatment'- eldest slept through at 10 weeks (patted self on back). Second at 15 months (wearily said thank fuck for that). Third is two and still regularly wakes several times a night. I've removed the bottle, not picked them up, fed more before bed. Nothing. She just likes waking.

BathshebaDarkstone Mon 04-Jul-16 05:55:47

I'd say dead on 6 months, all mine slept right through once they were in their own room.

icklekid Mon 04-Jul-16 05:57:38

rockell I would only change if poo not just wet.

soundsystem Mon 04-Jul-16 06:06:16

6 months as others have said, although no reason to move then if you're all happy. We moved DD a week before she was 6 months and the deciding factor was that she was too long for the Snuzpod at that point, and for the sake of a week we didn't think it was worth moving the cot!

She's 18 months now and if she was still waking 3 times a night I don't think I could cope! Very impressed with the stamina of the person up thread still doing 3 feeds! DD slept through (11 hours) from around 14 weeks, which I think is really just luck. She does occasionally wake in th night (teething/bad dream) and we have cuddles, I wouldn't leave her to cry either if she's upset.

Grassgreendashhabi Mon 04-Jul-16 06:28:38

Just under 6 months. Then evicted her to her own room. Slept better for her and us.

Had a party (in our heads) winewine

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Mon 04-Jul-16 06:39:29

That's fairly judgemental Mozz . I have a dd who did everything straight away, so I decided she would sleep in her own room, she did (about 11mo but due to a house move etc). She had a period of night waking, I returned her to bed with a cuddle and she went straight back to sleep, repeat approximately 3 nights and never did it again (so far).

Ds is altogether different. At 20mo he still wakes for 3 or 4 night 'feeds' - mainly for comfort. I've tried returning him to bed but he's just not ready and gets really upset. In the last 2 weeks he has started going to bed awake and I'm now doing gradual withdrawal to get him to self settle, but just because he's 20mo I'm not going to leave him to be upset. Not sure how I should nip it in the bud ? He eats to appetite during the day and has water in his cup but he's still little and sometimes just needs a cuddle, I don't think this is bad thing to provide (although knackering).

Grassgreendashhabi Mon 04-Jul-16 06:49:57

Mozz - every baby is different. Don't think it's helpful to be judgy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now