Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help with baby in Moses Basket

(8 Posts)
HD18 Mon 27-Jun-16 09:26:45

Morning,

I'm after some help/advice for my 4 week old DD, she has her last bottle around 10-10:30pm and will then fall asleep around 11-11:30pm, she then won't wake for her next feed until around 3-4am so has a good solid few hours sleep initially in her Moses basket but after that first AM feed she will then not settle back in her Moses basket again and stirs about and wakes every 30-40 minute, this will go on until about 6-7am where I just give up and get up for the day. I've tried picking her up each time she cries and giving cuddles then putting her back once settled but it doesn't really help. My mum said to leave her to cry for a bit but I just feel bad and feel she's still too young to leave to cry. I know she's still so young so happy to ride this out if it's something she will learn on her own but I just wondered if anyone had any tried and tested methods I could try. Thank you x

catlike1979 Mon 27-Jun-16 11:40:17

Wow first of all it's amazing that your 4 week old DD sleeps until 3-4am, that's wonderful! :-)

My 5 month old DS still doesn't like settling after about 4-5am and most of my NCT friends find the same, to be honest I find it easier just to bedshare after this point where he will settle - could you do this with your DD if you're happy to follow all the usual safety guidelines?

catlike1979 Mon 27-Jun-16 11:40:48

PS I still haven't worked out why they won't settle after 4am but it seems to be very common!

sequinsandwich Mon 27-Jun-16 11:58:53

I found this with my firsy DC aswell. I ended up co-sleeping from 4am until morning. When I say co-sleeping I mean baby sleeping on me and me being too scared to close my eyes! I hated bringing her into bed. I then started taking my top off (it was warm and smelling of me wearing it all night grin) and popping it in next to them in the basket which seemed to work .. Or they had just grown a bit and changed grinconfused hopefully this phase doesn't last too long. Keep the room dark and yourself "boring" so the baby is as understimulated as possible.

FATEdestiny Mon 27-Jun-16 13:13:55

Do you have a full sized cot? I'd recommend bringing the cot into your bedroom and remove one side off it (easily done with an allen key with most cots). Then butt the 3 sided cot up to your bed. You can then lean right into the cot from your bed. You can settle baby, re-insert dummy, cuddle and calm baby - all with baby in-situ in the cot and without needing to move or pick up baby.

HD18 Mon 27-Jun-16 14:30:45

Thank you so much for your replies! I do often put her on me so she sleeps after the 3-4am feed but like sequinsandwiches says I then don't sleep as I worry. Personally for me co sleeping is a no go as I'm such a fidgeter in my sleep so would constantly be worried about rolling on to her or covering her in the duvet and my husband is the same. Our bedroom is also too small to bring her cotbed in unfortunately. I will give putting a top of mine in with her (good idea) hopefully my smell will sooth her. I've tried dummy's but she just doesn't have any interest in them....I will persevere with it. Thank you again ladies smile

Shittak Mon 27-Jun-16 15:41:30

Try a Sleepyhead.

ItsyBitsyBikini Mon 27-Jun-16 15:51:37

Second a sleepyhead! DS would not settle in moses basket at night at all (quite happy in the day) and we thought it was because he just couldn't see me or dp and he didn't like stretching put and touching the rough wicker sides (even though they were covered in cloth) got a sleepyhead, moved cot into our room to put it in and voila! He now sleeps between 10/11 - 3/4 and then settles back in that until 6/7.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now