Talk

Advanced search

What age did your LO sleep through the night?

(43 Posts)
muminmanchester Thu 23-Jun-16 13:23:33

Hi all

Just wondering what ages people's babies started reliably sleeping through the night? I'm talking a solid 10-12 hours without waking here by the way!

My LO is 6 months and I'm still up anywhere between 4 and 10 times a night putting dummies in, rolling him back onto his back, untangling his legs/arms from the cot bars... Kind of thought this would be over by now! confused

Bear2014 Thu 23-Jun-16 13:30:39

Our DD didn't RELIABLY sleep through 10+ hours a night until well after her first birthday, but she was breast fed until 22 months and had a big association with feeding to sleep so that probably contributed heavily. She now comes into our bed at night quite often at age 2.5. It's a long sleepless road ;o)

How come you roll him onto his back? Does he get distressed on his front and need help rolling back? Because he's safe to sleep on his front/side if he wants to at that age. Getting tangled in cot bars - do you use gro bags? Might be worth trying an air wrap cot bumper?

Nowthereistwo Thu 23-Jun-16 13:34:03

I wouldn't bother comparing as it's just depressing!

Have you tried dream feeds - I bf when I go to bed (about 10.30) which pushes the next wake up back.

If they can roll you can let them sleep how they want (personal belief). So I wouldn't bother turning over.

You can buy mesh bar protectors to stop them putting arm/leg through.

Make sure he is warm enough as the temperature really drops so might need a blanket when you go to bed or middle wake up.

LadyOrangutan Thu 23-Jun-16 13:34:15

One tip that really help us was, instead of putting his dummy back in for him, put it in his hand and let him put it in himself. And scatter 4/5 dummies around the cot. He will learn to search for and put it back in himself within a few nights.

Leave him on his front at 6 months, if he's calm like that, he's fine.
And I second the recommendation for the safe air wrap cot bumper for tangled limbs. It's the only safe bumper.

muminmanchester Thu 23-Jun-16 13:42:03

Thank girls. He cries if he finds himself on his tummy so I'm doing lots of tummy time and rolling practice in the day to try and teach him to get back on his back by himself.

Good tip with putting the dummy in his hand. Will try that!

He has a Grobag but still manages to wedge himself between the bars, turn sideways and stretch out to bang his head etc... Such a fidget!

Dream feeding doesn't seem to make a difference sadly!

InsaneDame Thu 23-Jun-16 13:49:23

Mine started sleeping through at 22mo..... it lasted about three months and now at 26mo wakes once/twice a night again..... no rhyme or reason really!

Voteforpedr0 Thu 23-Jun-16 13:54:47

Still not sleeping through and is school age. Just accepted it but it's brutal

Hastalapasta Thu 23-Jun-16 13:58:59

Reliably? 3+ years. Still get the odd visit from the 6 and 4 year olds, 2 year old is a nightly visitor.
I intend to sleep when they are teens grin

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 23-Jun-16 13:59:55

Never. Nearly 10 now

Tangoandcreditcards Thu 23-Jun-16 14:03:27

DS1 not yet (2.4)

DS2 now sleeps through most nights (6mo).

At least now when I'm dealing with DS1 at night, I know it's not anything we did - which is at least a little comfort at all hours!

zippyswife Thu 23-Jun-16 14:03:48

Is he in his own room? I was up a dozen times a night sticking dummies back in. The minute he was in his room it all changed. He's 4.5 months now and he feeds at 10.30 and goes down till 6. I rarely have to stick a dummy in (I've jinxed it now!). Ds1 was 7 months when he slept 7-7 and ds2 was just a blurr- I have no idea. Maybe when he's in his own room and established on solids he'll be more settled. Good luck. Tiredness is the worst flowers

Salene Thu 23-Jun-16 14:04:29

21 months here and still no sign of sleeping more than 4/5 hours at a time

Knockmesideways Thu 23-Jun-16 14:04:57

Four years old - when he started school and came home knackered! Sorry.

Igottastartthinkingbee Thu 23-Jun-16 14:05:23

DS was about 2 when he became a cast iron 12 hour a night kinda guy. Then it got disturbed by potty training and needing a wee in the night. But he's pretty good on the whole.

DD still isn't reliable at 20months old but I'd say she sleeps through about 30% of the time which is way better than 6 months ago.

It takes a long time to settle with some kids, but it will happen eventually. and then all goes to shit when they're ill

TeaBelle Thu 23-Jun-16 14:05:58

Did slept through reliably at 16 months. She just turned 20 months and we have hit another blip and up 4ish times per night again. Killer now I'm back at work

bakingcupcakes Thu 23-Jun-16 14:06:44

15 months. Goes down at 7pm, up at 6am (sometimes 5)

Jackiebrambles Thu 23-Jun-16 14:11:13

DS1 was about 13 months. We did gradual withdrawal sleep training in the end. He wasn't a great sleeper!

DD1 is much better, she sleeps through now most nights and she's just turned 1. She started sleeping through most nights at around 10 months. No sleep training at all.

Both had dummies. I use air wrap to stop the dummies falling out and put at least 3 in the cot! When DD was about 7 months old she was able to reach around her cot, find a dummy and reinsert! That made a massive difference.

OneArt Thu 23-Jun-16 14:14:56

DS1 - 3 years
DD - 7 months
DS2 - 4 years

shockedballoon Thu 23-Jun-16 14:25:57

First time: 18 mths
Reliably 2-3 times a week: 2.5 years old
Reliably ~5 times a week: 3.5 years old

Now he's 6 and has slept pretty reliably since starting school. I, on the other hand, feel like I'm only just catching up!

muminmanchester Thu 23-Jun-16 14:33:55

Shit.

Here I was thinking I had a month, maybe two to go. Shit shit shit.

Who'd have 'em eh?! wink

zippyswife Thu 23-Jun-16 18:36:17

You never know though you could have it nailed by the end of the week. Fingers crossed for you.

CPtart Thu 23-Jun-16 19:40:49

DS1 4 months
DS2 5 months.
Both times when I had stopped bf and got a bit tough tbh. Wasn't afraid to let them whinge and cry for a bit, and never ever ever brought them into our bed.

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Thu 23-Jun-16 19:48:32

2.5. Partly that was my fault because I bf him to sleep at bedtime and on night wakings (no regrets, mind) - but even when I stopped all that, it was still the best part of six months before he started sleeping through.

You just learn to cope, I think. Or I did at any rate.

whensitmyturn Thu 23-Jun-16 19:51:58

Dc 1: 7 months
Dc 2: 3 years
Dc 3: 9 months

SweepTheHalls Thu 23-Jun-16 19:55:48

With a dream feed, 8 weeks. Until 5 months. Now she gets up anything from once to 5 times a night. I am not impressed with this development grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now