Talk

Advanced search

Should I get a monitor?

(4 Posts)
mallorcanmummy Sat 11-Jun-16 19:30:38

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong place.

My DS is 2months old. At the risk of sounding boastful, he's pretty good (at the moment) at drifting off to sleep with a musical star for his naps after I put him down. We live in a fairly big single level flat. I can hear him in the kitchen, bathroom and one other bedroom, but would only hear him if he cried loudly from the living room. I've only just started putting him down for his naps in his cot (in our room). Up until now, he's either fallen asleep in his buggy or on me and then I"ve put him in his buggy. It's only this last week that I"ve tried putting him in his cot. I've been checking him every 5 minutes or so.

I've just seen on another thread that guidelines say he should be in the same room as me until 6 months.

Should I
a) Put him in his cot and check him every 5 mins or so when I am moving around the house (or not taking a nap at the same time) so he gets/stays used to going to sleep there?
b) Get a monitor

c) continue to put him in his buggy in the same room as me?

But if I do C, do I have to push the buggy around the house every time I move rooms/go to toilet etc?

and if I do C until 6 months as current guidelines, do I have to wait until then to get him used to sleeping in his cot alone??

Thanks!

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Sat 11-Jun-16 20:03:33

Your DS should sleep in the same room as you until 6 months in order to reduce the risk of SIDS. It's the fact the the baby can hear you breathing that reduces the risk, so buying a monitor won't make any difference.

Can you get a Moses basket for the lounge?

mallorcanmummy Sat 11-Jun-16 21:05:24

Ah ok, I.didn't realise that was the reason!

We are using the 'crib/bed' part of our buggy at the moment, and it's huge so we just put him in that. He's quite happy there and it means he's used to sleeping there if we are out and about too. I assume that's ok??

Tumtitum Sat 11-Jun-16 21:30:41

As long as it's got a good mattress I'd say the carry cot is okay. That's what my DD slept in until she decided that anybody else being in the room was far too exciting! If I didn't put her for naps in another room she wouldn't sleep full stop. So we got a monitor. She's 4 months old, I probably wouldn't have done it when she was younger as I think sids risk is highest for first 3 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now