Side sleeping and SIDS

(6 Posts)
GipsyDanger Sat 11-Jun-16 19:10:55

My ds is 3 months old. The past week he's started turning onto his side during the night to sleep. I know he's not to sleep on his stomach but I've had conflicting advise on the side. There is no loose blankets to cover his breathing. Should I turn him back on his back if I find him sleeping on his side

lemonny Sat 11-Jun-16 19:22:46

Personally I wouldn't move him, if he can roll onto his side then he can roll himself back again. My dd rolled onto her side from a young age and still sleeps like it now. It's hard not to worry about sids but I think you have to make a risk assessment about these things.

UmbongoUnchained Sat 11-Jun-16 19:24:08

When I was in hospital the midwives actually used to lay my daughter on her side so she could see me so I think it's fine.

3littlebadgers Sat 11-Jun-16 19:26:57

I asked my very experienced GP, who is the practice manager, and he said to leave them be as it is the classic recovery position.

GipsyDanger Sat 11-Jun-16 19:33:08

Thanks. I was panicking there. Google says that sids is highest between 2-4 months

Nottalotta Sat 11-Jun-16 19:47:04

Ds slept on his side from day one. He was breech, and his legs stayed up for quite some time after birth. Because his feet were up by his chin, gravity took over and he rolled onto his side. He slept on his side for many weeks. I actually started worrying about choking once he started sleeping on his back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now