Talk

Advanced search

Does it look like DS needs a bigger cot?

(12 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 10-Jun-16 09:08:01

... Or will do at some point before moving into a single bed?

We currently have this John Lewis Eric cot, which is smaller than a standard cot, and a single bed which we imagine DS will go into around 2.5/3, which we use as a guest bed as it turns into a double. We didn't buy a cotbed because we needed a space saving cot at the time, and now we have this single for him the future.

Anyway, he did a major poo this morning that ended up on his mattress, so I want to buy a new mattress but not if he's going to need a bigger cot at some point soon - if that's the case, we'll just buy the bigger cot now.

Due to room shape it's going to be a nightmare trying to fit a bigger cot in, so wanted to canvas opinions. He's only 12 months and I've been wondering if he looks a bit cramped already? But actually now having taken the picture I don't think he looks too bad. But will it last him til he's big enough for a single (with side guard thing)? When is that anyway? So many questions!! grin

WWYD?

Timetogrowup2016 Fri 10-Jun-16 09:27:52

Aww bless him he looks so cosy haha.
I think if it was me in would buy a bigger cot

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Fri 10-Jun-16 09:29:54

Looks like there's plenty of space

Owlytellsmesecrets Fri 10-Jun-16 09:36:56

Why would he need a bigger cot????
They usually go into a bed from 12-18 months as they will learn how to climb over the side of the cot.
If I was you I'd flip the mattress and put a mattress protector on.
Save the money for DC 2 as they will need a new mattress anyway.

littlemonkey5 Fri 10-Jun-16 09:37:05

If it's the same cot as I have (from somewhere else), your biggest problem is when he stands up. DD2 was in her mini-cot far too long - way after she started weight bearing and almost took a dive out head first (we were in the middle of moving and had no room/choice). Length wise, it's plenty big enough.

I highly recommend the mini-cots, they are a little more expensive than a moses basket but have a longer useage. You can't carry it down stairs but that's ok. You can also sell-on, which I have found is difficult to do with a moses basket and they disintegrate and break
We have also never bought a toddler bed/cot bed, our children are far too tall for them and we would just waste money. We put the single mattress on the floor and move them up onto the divan/base when it is safe to do so.

KP86 Fri 10-Jun-16 09:37:31

There is heaps of space in that cot. I was expecting to see almost head and feet at both ends!

Just give the poo mark a good scrub with disinfectant and air it for as long as possible and the mattress will be fine as well. No need to replace.

Buy a waterproof sheet and put on to stop it happening again.

smile

Floggingmolly Fri 10-Jun-16 09:38:56

He's in a little corner of it! Plenty of space. How much bigger do they get, btw? Is that a particularly mini one? I thought they were all the same size...

Jelliedeels Fri 10-Jun-16 09:41:25

No plenty of room.

ExtraHotLatteToGo Fri 10-Jun-16 09:45:26

Just scrub the patch, put it in the sun to dry. Use a mattress protector.

Not many children stay in cots until 2.5 as they're able to climb out of them much earlier, so it's not safe. I'd plan to go straight to the single bed from the mini cot if I were you.

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 10-Jun-16 10:24:23

Ok thanks everyone! 😂 Sorry for being dumb. I swear he does normally look massive in it!! Lately he's not been in his sleeping bag and splays his legs so they're in the bars, one on each side.

Anyway, good! I was so stupid not getting mattress protectors!

So when is the norm to move up to a normal bed? I've read threads here before and thought it was like 2.5/3yo.

runningLou Fri 10-Jun-16 10:35:53

He is in a standard size cot (mattress 120cm long). The larger ones are cot beds (mattress 140cm long). A toddler/junior bed takes the same size mattress as a cot bed. The issue with switching from cot to bed is more the climbing rather than mattress length/width.

DD and DS were both in their cot until 2.5, then in toddler bed. Both went into single beds at 5. I know this is later than some people but they didn't lack space and the toddler beds tend to be closer to the ground and have side bars which is good for 2 yo as less risk of rolling out of bed/not so far to fall if they do.

runningLou Fri 10-Jun-16 10:47:54

If you think about it, mattress size has very little to do with body size. DS (average size 5 yo) is still technically shorter than a cot mattress like the one your DS is on!
Adults generally have mattresses that are 190cm long which isn't that much longer than most people (at 5'7 that gives me 20cm extra for example) but I don't feel like the bed's too short!
I think switching beds for DC is more about safety, so when they can climb/vault over cot bars, they need to be in a bed that is closer to the ground. As mentioned above toddler beds are good as they are low to the floor and have side bars. Some single beds are quite high for a 2 yo.
That said not all DC do try to climb out of cots (mine never did, they just yelled for their willing house-slave me at the top of their lungs when they wanted to get out) and keeping them in a grobag like your DS can limit the chances of escape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now