Reliable 2 year old sleep gone bad!

(3 Posts)
FenellaFerranti Thu 09-Jun-16 11:09:26

DD 2.4 has slept brilliantly since she was a baby. We've done a bit of sleep training but she's also just been a good sleeper! She slept brilliantly through DS's arrival even when he cried at night (although made a little bit of a fuss at bedtime) but not wakes 1-3 times a night, sometimes going back to bed with no fuss and sometimes screaming and waking the baby. The first time she gets up we give her a cuddle and ask when she wants (usually to sleep in our bed) then after that we return her promptly to bed without much interaction. She doesn't seem to be in pain or upset.

Anyone else experienced similar? Could it be a delayed reaction to becoming a big sister (DS is 7.5 months now). She's also potty trained recently - she's in nappies overnight but I wonder if a new awareness of her bladder might be waking her? Although she never asks to use the potty when she gets up.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!!

FATEdestiny Thu 09-Jun-16 13:40:04

When did she go into a bed (from a cot)?

It could be that she has recently realised she can get up whenever she wasn't to. Just like other behaviour issues, you just need to set very firm boundaries and be consistent. So it just means taking her straight back to bed as quickly as possible, with minimal fuss, repeating that she must stay in her bed and go to sleep.

FenellaFerranti Thu 09-Jun-16 19:22:41

She went into a bed last summer and we had a couple of months of nightmare bedtimes so I feel like it ought to be out of her system by now! We are just being boring and consistent but I would have hoped it would pay off by now! Argh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now