Talk

Advanced search

Dropping to one nap - when?

(18 Posts)
Nottalotta Tue 07-Jun-16 12:24:22

Ds sleep has been all over the shop recently. Had finally got him reliably napping in the cot twice a day, and easy bedtime at 7. Bf to sleep, transfer, job done, mostly. Then I went back to work three days a week and he goes to mum/ Mil those days who do pram naps. Also he refuses a bottle so no milk for naps. This has resulted in feeding to sleep for naps being nigh on impossible, and along with a sudden increase in his activity/mobility, everything else is random now too.

He is 10months old but more often will want to have a long nap in the morning, and nothing else. He's been asleep 2hrs 20 so far. He will go to bed okays sleep OK on this. Yesterday I tried two naps, bedtime didn't happen til 9pm, he just wasn't tired after his afternoon nap.

Is it too early for one nap or should I follow his lead?

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 07-Jun-16 12:29:46

I am trying to stretch to 12 months before dropping a nap as Dc2 can't cope with being awake all morning until 1 without a nap but tries not to have a owning nap. We have compromised and he will have 30 minute about 9 30 in stead of 1 hour at 9 and hen manages to last until usual 1-3 nap time.

Nottalotta Tue 07-Jun-16 12:32:45

He will sleep three hours in the morning, then last OK til bedtime. He sleeps less if we do two naps, and bedtime is usually worse. I thought 12M would be better but having had such a crap time with naps until 7months, I'm inclined to let him go with it.

Pinkandwhite Tue 07-Jun-16 12:59:14

We got to about 12 months. One of my friends was adamant that her little one would carry on napping twice a day so started waking her baby after an hour in the morning. That has worked for her.

FATEdestiny Tue 07-Jun-16 20:47:33

My youngest has made the transition to one nap a day in the last few weeks. She is 20 months old.

My older children were all around 12 months when they dropped to two naps.

My DC4 would sleep for longest in the morning if I let her, then be exhausted at teatime so hard work when I am trying to cook a family meal. So I would limit her morning nap by waking her at 11am , then she would sleep again 1-3pm, with a 7.30 bedtime. Much less grumpy and demanding in the early evening that way.

piesoclock Tue 07-Jun-16 21:10:11

Op.- my ten month old is similar. Had a week of one 2/3 hour nap starting at 10/11/midday and was doimg ok on it. Then we had a virus and teeth and the last few days have gone haywire. But, I reckon if he can get by on one nap a day I'll let him do it. I've always been led by by him and I can't bear the thought of trying to force another nap. Go with it id say.

Nottalotta Wed 08-Jun-16 19:56:25

Hmm so Monday he had two naps as woke him from the morning one then marched determinedly along with the pram in the afternoon. W as not tired at bedtime, went to sleep at 9.05pm....... Yesterday, 2hrs 45 in the morning, no afternoon nap. Asleep at 8.30!!! I was hoping for 6.30/7 which until recently was usual. Up at 5 today too.

He's been with Mil today, morning nap of 1hr 15. That's it. He was almost asleep in his dad's arms when I got home at 6pm but perked up for a long feed and was in bed by 6.30. Dread to think what time he'll wake.....

Nottalotta Wed 08-Jun-16 19:58:36

It's amazing how different they all are, has-been on two naps for what seems like months, but then has always slept less than the books say. And been generally happy and smiley with it.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 08-Jun-16 20:03:46

3 hours?! 😮 DD2 is 11 months, gets up at 5.30/6, has 40 min nap around 9, 30-40 mins around 2 and bed at 7.

You might be lucky and he'll wake at his usual time. DD2 wakes between 5.30 and 6 wether she goes to bed at 6 or 8 😊

Nottalotta Wed 08-Jun-16 20:28:00

whatthefreak I know, I know!! He has never napped well, never for long, I was a constant presence on this board when he was smaller so this change is new and odd. I didn't know what to do with myself yesterday.

Teething, me starting work, he doesn't get to bf those days, crawling, almost walking, there's a Lot going on in his wee life and I think it's all having a bit of an impact.

Still, it was lovely to sit in the sun and do nothing while he slept.

Nottalotta Wed 08-Jun-16 20:29:14

Until recently he was up 5/6, two naps a day around 9.30 and 2/3 for max an hour each but often less. Bed at 6.30/7.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 08-Jun-16 20:29:57

I'm not criticising, I promise! I'm just shocked! DD1 was a shit sleeper, so I thought DD2 was doing well with her 2 naps a day haha!

Nottalotta Wed 08-Jun-16 20:40:11

Oh no I didn't think you were! I was as shocked as you are the first time he did it! He normally does it with Mil but did it with me this week.

JuxtapositionRecords Wed 08-Jun-16 20:50:34

There is a typical sleep regression at this age (I know, I know - always blame a sleep regression smile but this is a biggie and a lot of people go through it) so that might explain things a little. 10 months seems exceptionally young for one nap I would say especially if he is waking up at 5 and bed at 830. Personally I would continue trying the two naps - he may 'click' back into them if you keep trying.

KP86 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:54:45

We dropped second day sleep around 16-17 months, when it became very hard work to get him to go down in the afternoon.

It was 2 X 90 min naps and 12 hours overnight with one wake up. He immediately went to 1 X 2 hour sleep after lunch and sleeping through overnight. Had I known I would have done it months earlier, lol!

So my advice is when it becomes difficult. One sleep seems to be working for you already, and 3 hours in one hit is the same as my 2 X 90 mins so if it's working for you, stick with it.

StinkyMcgrinky Wed 08-Jun-16 21:02:21

DS is 16 and over the past month has naturally dropped to one nap a day, usually 1.5-2hours late morning/early afternoon. We were always fairly relaxed about nap times and didn't follow a set schedule but just looked out for cues that he was tired and he just decided he didn't need this afternoon nap (I know this method doesn't work for everyone and some of my friends think I'm mad!)

It started with him going once or twice a week with only one nap and then gradually it was every day. He know wakes around 6-6.30, naps around 12-2ish and then bed at 7pm.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 09-Jun-16 09:26:39

How did it go notalotta? Did DS sleep til a reasonable time this morning?

Nottalotta Thu 09-Jun-16 15:40:17

Well. He only had one nap of 1hr 15 in the morning, went to sleep easily at 6.30. Woke around 12, brought him into bed to feed Co sleep (as usual) he spent forever latching on, rolling, wriggling, crawling. Not properly awake but I was......got up and picked him up trying to get him to properly sleep. 3.45 he went back to sleep and I put in the cot where he still was at 7.....,

We are having this issue with nighttime acrobatics, and I just can't cope with him wriggling about then squawking because he can't find a boob, because he's moved up the bed. At work today. Yawn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now