Talk

Advanced search

Teaching a 4 month old to sleep in cot

(9 Posts)
AbiFaz Mon 06-Jun-16 20:35:58

Hello, I'm hoping some of you might be able to offer some reassurance. I have an almost 4 month old little boy. He had a rough start, in that he was born with a tongue tie and constantly had wind and possible silent reflux. I also have a little girl, so we learnt to cope during the day by using a baby carrier for all his naps. I am now struggling to carry him this way every day, for every nap, with also being quite sleep deprived from poor sleep at night. He also seems to be beginning to struggle to get off to sleep in the carrier now and wakes quickly as he is quite noise sensitive and my daughter wakes him. He cries in a car seat when he gets tired and also just cries in a pram....He gets distressed when put in his cot during the day but is happy to be put down at night.

So my husband and I are planning to use the pick up put down method with him in a few weeks for naps ( he will be just over 4 months). This is when my husband will be on annual leave, as I don't feel I can do it on my own. Has anyone had a similar experience and had any success nap training a 4 month old? I'm scared it will not work. I'm just so tired and don't have the energy to keep carrying him and it's no longer really working well for him. I also need to give my daughter more attention.... Thanks

Metalhead Mon 06-Jun-16 22:11:48

My DD2 only ever napped in my arms, even though she'd happily go down in her cot at night whilst sleepy but still awake. If I tried to put her down during the day she'd scream blue murder, and although I used the pick up put down method successfully at night it just didn't seem to work for naps. However, I'm pleased to say that she just seemed to grow out of it around 6 months, and for the last couple of weeks she's been having every nap in her cot without too much fuss!

So I just wanted to say good luck with the sleep training, but if it doesn't work don't despair, just keep trying every week or so to put her down and hopefully she will get there eventually.

Timetogrowup2016 Tue 07-Jun-16 09:50:59

Will baby nap in a bouncer or swing chair ?
Dd 3.5 months will only nap in her chair and in the pram if it's moving.
She will accept her cot at night all be it swaddled in her swaddle pod.
She had bad tounge tie and has reflux to.

AbiFaz Tue 07-Jun-16 13:36:14

Thanks for your response.. No he won't sleep in a bouncer or swing or pram or car seat... He just cries in all of them when he gets tired... And for a long time! He will literally only sleep in the baby carrier... I'm just going to have to try for a week with the nap training and see what happens!

AbiFaz Tue 07-Jun-16 13:38:47

Thanks for your response. It wouldn't be so bad if he slept on me and I could sit down but I literally have to keep moving! Keep your fingers crossed for me that the training works lol. I hope you're right that he'll grow out of it :-)

LibertyBelles Tue 07-Jun-16 14:41:38

I'm having some success with my previous fed to sleep/sleep in sling 4 month old DD - im doing gradual retreat. Started last Thursday and can get her down into cot (once asleep) in about 10 mins. ATM rocking and playing white noise, next step in standing and white noise, then siting and white noise and finally in cot awake and white noise. I'm hoping the white noise will become a sleep cue if I do it enough

Metalhead Tue 07-Jun-16 14:45:58

Oh yes I forgot to add, we also use white noise for DD2!

Iknownuffink Tue 07-Jun-16 14:46:44

Put one of your worn unwashed t-shirts In baby's cot.

Lie baby on the t- shirt

Baby will be comforted with your smell on the t- shirt.

AbiFaz Thu 09-Jun-16 19:43:44

Sounds like you are doing well. How long does she sleep. If I've ever got my lo to sleep in a cot, he's only ever slept a max of 45minutes... Another issue I have!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now