Talk

Advanced search

11 month old nap routine

(7 Posts)
Kaz4755 Mon 06-Jun-16 10:32:09

Hi

I have posted on here before about advice on maps but am still struggling a bit. My dd is 11 months and she generally wakes between 6am and 6.30, although sometimes a bit earlier. She goes back down for her morning nap three hours after she wakes up, touch wood, she is very consistent with her morning nap and has been for a while. The afternoon nap is hit and miss, more miss to be fair! I try and put her down 3 hours after she wakes up from her morning nap and it seems to be failing most of the time. If anyone out there has an 11 month old how long do you leave it before you put them down for their afternoon nap? My dd's morning nap is usually between 1hr and 1.5 hours. I seem to be putting her in the car and taking her out for her nap more often than not these days when I can't get her to sleep in her cot. Any advice greatly received! Thank you.

MumOnACornishFarm Mon 06-Jun-16 13:54:30

My DS is 11 months old. He's a bit all.over the place with teething at the moment but normally he wakes around 7am, then goes down for his morning nap at around 9:30am and sleeps for an hour. His afternoon nap is at around 2pm and he sleeps for 1.5-2 hours. Bed at 7pm.

FifiFerusha Mon 06-Jun-16 15:41:20

I struggle with this one a bit too. My DS is 10 and a half months. I used to put him down three hours after first nap but then he doesn't sleep long enough in the afternoon. So tend to go for 3 and a half hours after first nap. Our day goes something like this.

WU 6ish
9.15 until 10 nap( sometimes has a longer nap if he has had a bad night or woken before 6)
13.30 until 15.00 afternoon nap
19.00 bedtime( in an ideal world)

Not sure if that helps but I tend to be confused about it too x x

FATEdestiny Mon 06-Jun-16 18:26:13

At 11 months old if I'd have gone with my DDs body clock she'd have slept:

9.00am-11.00am
2.00pm-3.30pm
7.30pm-7.00am

However I had to tweak her afternoon nap to fit in with the school run with my older children, so she was napping:

9.30am - 11.00am (I would wake her up, she'd sleep longer)
1.00pm-3.00pm (I would usually need to wake her from this nap too)
7.30pm bedtime.
Wake up in the morning varies but is usually between 6.30am-7.30am

OP - if you are looking for a more routine afternoon nap then you could set a wake-up time for the morning nap. This helps to regulate afternoon nap time.

Kaz4755 Mon 06-Jun-16 21:30:16

Hi ladies

Thank you all very much for your comments and advice. Today she went down 3.5hrs after she first got up and that was for an hour and a half but I gave her a bottle before she went down which I don't think I should do. I don't want to be feeding her to sleep, but she was definitely fairly awake when I put her in her cot. I will try and limit her morning nap tomorrow perhaps to see if we have any joy! I find sleeping and napping the most stressful part of parenting....so far! Thank you again! smile

luckiestgirl Mon 06-Jun-16 21:38:38

I give a bottle before each nap. He doesn't fall asleep on it, it just means he's nice and full for his sleep. I can't see it becoming a crutch unless she gets sleepy with the milk

FifiFerusha Tue 07-Jun-16 15:16:51

Ditto luckiest star. I always give a bottle before sleep. I kind of think it may make him sleep longer. He doesn't fall asleep on the bottle.

And I agree that napping is the most stressful part. I think it is easy to get caught up in it though. I can say I have certainly done that at times. .mmm, lots of times smile

Like FATE my routine is dictated by a school run though. Also I tend to shorten the morning nap otherwise he finds it very hard to get to sleep or have a long afternoon nap. Normally he will only take a short nap in the morning anyway but I can p it at an hour if he wants to sleep for longer. They say never wake a sleeping baby but I have to due to school run x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now