Talk

Advanced search

How do you get your baby to sleep?

(7 Posts)
muddypuddled Fri 03-Jun-16 21:44:51

I currently feed my daughter to sleep. I breast feed her and she is 7 1/2 months old but Wales very frequently in the night and needs feeding back to sleep although I am sure she isn't hungry. She drops off pretty quickly after latching on. I think I need to find a way to get her to self settle. I'm not up for cio, she won't take a dummy and we have tried pick up put down but it didn't seem to work. With my ds we used pick up put down when he was just over a year old and it worked like a dream. I don't know if maybe she is just too young???confused

muddypuddled Sat 04-Jun-16 07:22:21

Bump

FATEdestiny Sat 04-Jun-16 13:55:30

I used a dummy. It is reasonable to say that a baby will need something to provide comfort when going to sleep and it is not unusual for that to take the form of sucking in the under 12 month old. Since your baby wont take a dummy, then it seems breastfeeding is it. Breastfeeding requires you, c'est la vie.

I'm not sure at 7 months plus that you'll be able to introduce a dummy, it is rather late. In my view the dummy is key to no crying, no distress long term independent sleeping.

In my experience 7 months is too early for a bond to a comforter to develop. Mine have attached to a teddy or comforter blanket from around 9-12 months old. But you could certainly start introducing something now, so that when older they can gain comfort somewhere other than your breast.

it. Bre

muddypuddled Sat 04-Jun-16 14:32:28

Thanks, how did you go about introducing a comforter? The biggest problem right now is that my husband can't comfort her or help to get her to sleep.

FATEdestiny Sat 04-Jun-16 15:07:49

It just needs to be something that's always there when baby is going to sleep. You cant really force it or rush it. You could cuddle a blankie into her cheek as she is breastfeeding she might start to associate that blankie with the comfort of breastfeeding.

Could you try cuddling to sleep instead of breastfeeding?

NeedACleverNN Sat 04-Jun-16 15:10:13

We use Ewan the dream sheep as a cue.

Mind you ds spent the first 9 months of his life sleeping in his swing with all the motion and sound going.. (He had an undiagnosed medical condition that made him uncomfortable).

He is 15 months old now and from about 9-10 months we just activate Ewan, give him a bottle and lay him down. He takes himself off

Haworthiia Sat 04-Jun-16 20:47:29

n my view the dummy is key to no crying, no distress long term independent sleeping

Dh was saying yesterday that he's taking a dummy to the hospital for the next one as soon as they're born 😁 Ds is very very 'sucky' and will not take a dummy ( honestly, I've tried everything short of gaffer taping it to his face)

I am currently resettling my 8 month old for the fourth time tonight. With boob. Sigh...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now