Sleep suggestions needed

(3 Posts)
musogirl295 Wed 01-Jun-16 15:40:37

As the subject suggests I could really use some suggestions regarding my youngests sleeping. Apologies if this is a bit wordy but I want to try and get as much detail down as I can in case somebody can spot something I've missed.

9 month old girl and sleeping at night has become progressively worse!

From newborn to around 4 months she was the perfect sleeping angel. Put to bed in crib in our room at about 7.30 each night and would fall asleep by herself, waking only for feeds and then going straight back to sleep.

Around 4 months dropped night feeds and was going from about 7.30pm to 6.30am each night. Between 4 and 6 months started waking more frequently but went back to sleep with a quick pat or putting back of dummy. We realised that she was getting disturbed by the odd car driving past the window so we moved her into her cot in her sisters room (6 years old and mostly sleeps very soundly these days although not as a baby!) Sleep definitely got better again with just one or two wake ups a night for the dummy.

Around 6 months she had a couple of colds and teething started to kick in. Started waking a lot more and needed more comfort to go back to sleep. Sometimes rocking for a few mins, sometimes coming into bed with us.. After a few weeks of this we became concerned that this was turning into a habit so we successfully employed the pick up put down method. Following this we had a good month of "normal" sleeping.

She is now 9 months and for the last 4 or 5 weeks she has been a nightmare at night. We will have the odd night with minimal wake ups but more often than not we are up and down multiple times a night. The last 2 week she will not go back to sleep in her cot after waking up regardless of what we do, and will only sleep in her bed. We tried to get tough with her last night which resulted in me getting about an hours sleep in total between about 10 and 6 and her big sister being disturbed on and off throughout the night!

She usually falls asleep around 7.30 pm after her final bottle, often in my husbands arms as she won't self settle like she did as a newborn and generally sleeps quite well until anywhere between 10 and midnight when the fun starts!

I am exhausted from all these wake ups and I have a permanent aching neck and back from being hunched over the side of the bed while the baby starfishes in the middle!

Any suggestions for things to try?

For further info, she generally has about 26oz of formula across 3 or 4 bottles a day as well as 3 small solid meals and a couple of small snacks. She is on the smaller end of the scale, born 3 weeks early and less than 6lbs in case that has any bearing on suggestions!

Thanks in advance

FATEdestiny Thu 02-Jun-16 17:54:38

At 6 months old we moved out youngest (DC4) cot into her room. Then she started waking again so we just bought the cot back into our room. She had various times of sleeping though again but it didn't become wholly consistent until closer to 12 months old. So the cot stayed in our room until she was 12 months old.

Therefore my recommendation would be to just bring the cot back into your room until the sleeping through is much more consistent. Could well be teething, lots of teething to be done over the coming few months.

If sound is a problem in your room (and with summer approaching), I find one of those table fans great for a white noise method for downing out background noise, like traffic.

musogirl295 Thu 02-Jun-16 20:44:41

Thanks for your reply. We started a more structured bed time routine last night but she was still up and down until I gave in at about 3am and brought her into our bed! Touch wood she has been better with her nap and going down this evening so we shall see what the rest of the night brings.

I did consider that it could be teething but she doesn't seem to be making the noises she did when she was definitely teething. When she wakes up and can't go back to sleep she is usually on her hands and knees rocking back and forth. This started when she was starting to crawl. She has started to pull herself up on the bars in the night so I'm wondering if it's more to do with developmental changes. I don't think it will be long before she's cruising, so maybe she's practising. If it continues much longer we will have to bring the cot back in. Thankfully her big sister is a very deep sleeper and rarely disturbed otherwise she would have been back in with us weeks ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now