Talk

Advanced search

Advice of celebrity maternity nurse according to Marie Claire.

(13 Posts)
MonkeyBrainsInPickle Mon 30-May-16 12:10:32

A link to this article has appeared on my Facebook page and it has annoyed me.

www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/health/552868/gwyneth-patrow-and-zara-phillips-maternity-nurse-says-mums-these-days-are-scaring-themselves-and-have-lost-the-plot.html

It's very brief and vague. This maternity nurse advocates controlled crying, but nowhere in the article does it say it shouldn't be done until six months or whatever it is. Surely she doesn't control cry a newborn confused I hope not and I hope no parent who reads the article thinks it's o.k. to control cry a young baby. Apparently it is 'vital' part of them going to sleep hmm All babies are different surely. Mine has always managed to sleep without this method.

The article also says that she advocates formula and in the next breath that Gwyneth Paltrow found her breastfeeding advice 'invaluable' confused

Alfieisnoisy Mon 30-May-16 12:16:11

It's bloody awful, "Babies mustn't think the world revolve around them". Honestly....it does (and it should) for the first few months, they are learning the world is a safe place where their needs will be met.

Awful woman...I wouldn't let her near any baby in my care with those beliefs.

Farahilda Mon 30-May-16 12:17:35

That it is brief and vague is a comment on the quality of the article, not of her advice. She wrote a whole book about sleep (from birth to 5 years) and I can't remember exactly what age she recommends what approach, but her advice is tailored to age/stage/size.

MoggyP Mon 30-May-16 12:19:58

""Babies mustn't think the world revolve around them". Honestly....it does (and it should) for the first few months"

That's rather depends on the character and needs of your toddler/s.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Mon 30-May-16 12:25:05

Yes, my comment about 'brief and vague' is in relation to the Marie Claire article. I'd need to read her advice firsthand to form a full opinion on it. The snippet from Marie Claire does make her sound bonkers though. Maybe young mothers haven't 'lost the plot.' Maybe her advice is old fashioned and outdated!

peardroplets Mon 30-May-16 14:57:43

I wouldn't even credit this with the label of journalism - it's just rewording of a Telegraph article which I remember reading and rolling my eyes at about six weeks ago. The whole thing is a load of PR guff for this updated version of the book she this lady has to flog. I weep for the state of 21st century journalism.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Mon 30-May-16 15:22:58

Ah I see. Sounds like this maternity nurse's people have sent out a press release and this crappy article has been cobbled together from that.

SpeakNoWords Mon 30-May-16 15:46:10

"Air their lungs" ffs. Didn't think anyone still thought that kind of guff. I wouldn't let this woman near mine or anyone else's children, I don't think.

Alfieisnoisy Tue 31-May-16 10:19:55

I want thinking of Toddlers Moggy but newborns who this woman is likely to see a lot of. I maintain that babies in the first few months of life NEED the world to revolve around their needs. As they get older they are more able to cope with waiting for some needs to be met and then different strategies can be tried.

duckyneedsaclean Tue 31-May-16 10:26:20

Alfieisnoisy I think the point is, your toddler may not react well to the new baby having the world revolve around it.

duckyneedsaclean Tue 31-May-16 10:27:49

I.E second and subsequent babies have to wait for their needs to be met. And they're fine.

dinodiva Tue 31-May-16 12:44:29

What utter bollocks. I'm not sure I would have much faith in anything Gwyneth Paltrow endorses!

MoggyP Tue 31-May-16 20:58:26

Exactly, ducky

You cannot make your world revolve round your new baby when you have a toddler or two to care for as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now