due baby in 4m, 2yr old still wakes

(3 Posts)
bringonthrsummer Thu 26-May-16 13:31:34

As the title says....

However, son goes to bed at 7 every night with his 4yr old sister. Never really have any problems. He won't have milk so he has a 1/4 beaker of juice. He gets up 1-4 times a night and has to have more juice. Which is where my difficulty is. If I don't give it him, or I offer water, I go in still and try to calm him down, but he won't lie down, the moaning turns into hysterical screaming, he kicks the wall connecting to next door, hits me, kicks me. So I tried just leaving when he gets like that, but it makes him worse, He ends up pulling his stair gate off his door, has pulled the draw fronts on his side table and empties his book shelves (obviously not all in one night) then to top it off he gets up at 5am every morning! Sometimes waking his sister which I feel terrible about as she would sleep till 8 if allowed, the bags under eyes are terrible (not to mention my own panda eyes) how I'm going to have a newborn as well as this I have no idea! sad

FATEdestiny Thu 26-May-16 14:03:45

As a means of firstly teaching him not to wake you up, could you not get a big juice beaker and keep it by his bed every night?

I suspect the drinks is just an excuse to see you and get up in the night, rather than actual thirst.

Ideally you need to just ban drinks at night, but you could do this in stages. Firstly stop him waking you up. You can get 1000ml beakers, surely he wont need more than 1 litre of fluids per night?!

Keep an eye on how much is left in the morning. Over a few weeks I bet he has less and less because the drinking is not providing him with a reason to wake you. Then make the squash more dilated until it is plain water.

The other option is to just go cold turkey on drinks at night and say "no more". Deal with the tantrums that you will get for a week or so and just be consistent and don't give in.

Dee72 Thu 26-May-16 18:51:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now