How to get 10 month old to sleep in later....

(9 Posts)
KW89 Mon 23-May-16 21:51:12

DS2 is 10 months old and has started to sleep through (with a dreamfeed). He goes to bed at 7.15, has a dreamfeed at 10.30 (have tried to not dreamfeed, but he wakes up between 11 and 11.30 anyway for it if we don't)
he will then sleep until between 5 and 5.30 most nights (we still have night waking sometimes) if he does wake in the night we now offer water instead of milk. Is there any way to get him to sleep in a little longer? Ten months of very little sleep and now up at 5 every morning is exhausting me! Have tried treating it as a night waking, but he just won't settle again. He eats 3 good sized meals a day, and also has 4 210ml bottles. Will he start sleeping long the older he gets or am I doomed to be up at 5 for the next few years? DS1 has always slept from 7.30-8, and all my friends babies seem to sleep til after8 every morning, so I'm new to these early starts! Any ideas greatly appreciated! Oh and he has just sprouted 4 teeth in the last 2 weeks!

QuiteLikely5 Mon 23-May-16 21:53:42

Have you thought about giving him milk during the night instead of water? I know it's a step back but if you are keen to get a lie in then it's an option......

Other than that you are asking a million dollar question smile

KW89 Mon 23-May-16 23:04:45

Yep tried milk again, but makes no difference at that time 😞 he's ready to start the day! Also has blackout blind and whitenoise, so don't think he's being woken by the brighter mornings and the ridiculously noisy birds! Guess I'll have to go with it and hope he learns to love a lie in like his brother!

HollyC255552 Tue 24-May-16 09:44:29

Could you maybe try a later bedtime? My DD is 10.5 months & she is an early riser between 5:30-6am every day. She has always been a poor sleeper right from birth. I've tried so many things i just go with it now.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 24-May-16 09:55:35

My DD did this around that age. Just suddenly decided that 5am was time for everyone to start their day! We tried later bedtime, earlier bed time, jiggled nap times about to see if it made a difference.....and I'm sorry to say it didn't sad She just snapped out of it one day and has slept until 6:30am without any input from us ever since. For us, it was a case of just riding it out confused

Coconut0il Tue 24-May-16 10:00:15

I would try to move his bedtime slightly later. I think some children just need less sleep. My sister had 2 DC who reliably slept 7 till 7. Her DC3 would go down at 7 but woke at 3, 4, 5am ready to start the day shock It's only now he's 18 months he's started to sleep a little later.

Artistic Tue 24-May-16 10:13:51

I just resorted to not getting out of bed until 7. Which means cuddles, talking, dozing a bit along with baby. It didn't yield good sleep but gradually she seemed to sleep a bit longer each day. It was like her body clock was adjusting to the no-daylight, no-activity, no-breakfast time and deciding that sleeping was a better idea. But I still find that after 5am she's a light sleeper and if there is any noise in the house or the others wake up then she will too.

KW89 Tue 24-May-16 14:03:31

Tried later bedtime, makes no difference at all! I haven't tried that artistic, will try keeping him in his cot til 6.30, I'll doze in the rocking chair next to him! My problem is that he shares a room with his 2 year old brother who loves his sleep, so if he gets too noisy I'll have to take him out 😕 Think I'm just going to have to ride this out! Thanks everyone x

MigGril Tue 24-May-16 14:13:40

Unfortunately some are just earlier rises. Sounds like you've tired evething really. DS who was a much better sleeper then DD always has worked up really early. DD from 3 years old would actually lie in a bit, but DS has only ever done that on a school day when I've then had to wake him anyway he's 5 now and at months was doing later sleep in a be still had a dream feed to. But once he slept though we to had 5am or earlier. But never after 6.30am in this house unless he's ill. So good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now