Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Blister on thumb - can't sleep

(6 Posts)
nicolasmith2512 Mon 16-May-16 07:37:32

My 20 mo dd has been a thumb sucker since she was tiny and it is what she does to self soothe at night time. On Saturday she got a large blister on it from over sucking (teething!) which has now popped (gross, sorry!) and looks very sore and red. I've been putting sudacream on in the day and it doesn't look infected but at night she gets herself in such a state because she can't get herself to sleep as she can't such her thumb. The last couple of nights we've ended up having to cuddle her to sleep which we hardly ever have to do but I'm worried she'll get used to it. Any tips on what else I can do to help her sleep/help her thumb until it heels?

minipie Tue 17-May-16 14:09:19

I'm sure you have tried this but could she be encouraged to use the other thumb?

Branleuse Tue 17-May-16 14:12:16

dummy?

nicolasmith2512 Tue 17-May-16 14:45:14

I've tried to get her to use the other thumb but she just shakes her head and points to the sore thumb sad

I was unsure about introducing a dummy at this stage, I was worried that she might then get used to it and I would be creating another problem. Last night was awful again though so u might have to try it

minipie Tue 17-May-16 15:17:00

What if you put a plaster on it and then put loads of micropore (like medical sellotape) round it to hold the plaster on? Or is that a choking risk...

If she won't switch to the other thumb I doubt she'll take a dummy unfortunately...

Branleuse Tue 17-May-16 17:05:10

honestly if she will swap to a dummy then youre better off anyway, as its much easier to get rid of. My 8 year old still sucks her thumb, while her brother was able to get rid of his dummy over the space of a few weeks when he was 2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now