Talk

Advanced search

Nursery Mobile Sleep Help?

(8 Posts)
Dollface136 Fri 13-May-16 10:14:56

Am putting together my nursery for 1st child, and clueless about what actually helps them sleep and what is just "decorative" fluff.

Do you need a mobile above the cot?
Do they help sleep or what is the purpose?
If yes to both the above, any recommendations?

I fail to see how a hoop with some felt toys on it can be worth £40.
Thanks in advance!

cityrat79 Fri 13-May-16 10:23:38

I bloody love our mobile. It's a musical one that goes round and round. It doesn't send our child to sleep but with both children from 6 weeks to about 7 months it will entertain them for up to 20 mins - lets me grab a shower!

FATEdestiny Fri 13-May-16 22:16:33

In my view a mobile is just decorative.

In my view you need:
- cot with one side removed, butted up to your bed for night times
- a bouncy chair for downstairs daytime naps
- dummies from about 3-6 weeks old
- 2 swaddle sheets (I cut a cot sheet in half along the short edge to make long thing rectangles for this)
- 2 baby sleeping bags
- 2 fitted bottom sheets for the cot
- Muslin squares (dozens of) under baby's head in cot to catch sick dribbles

ALongTimeComing Fri 13-May-16 22:47:48

Basically the vast majority of baby stuff is a total con and not worth the money. You need very little. Baby really doesn't care if it's room is perfect or not. I would say thought that enough wardrobe space is key because you get so many gifts and so many of them will be a bigger size, but that settles down after the first year.

Dollface136 Mon 16-May-16 09:45:52

Thanks ladies that's great to hear. We don't have a huge house so I am trying to keep clutter to a minimum and not buy anything that isn't going to substantially benefit baby and me.

My theory is as long as the first 3 weeks are sorted I can always send hubby out for more supplies after that!

minipie Mon 16-May-16 15:16:00

What cityrat said. But it depends on the child. DD1, I could only shower with her under the mobile or she's scream blue murder. DD2 was happy to sit in a bouncy chair in the bathroom with me.

Dollface136 Tue 17-May-16 09:04:23

Thanks minipie. I'm relying on DH to be my shower time entertainer (he works from our home office so in "theory" no reason he can't help me out for 30 mins a day to have a wash). Plus he's cheaper than a mobile haha.

minipie Tue 17-May-16 13:44:14

Oh well that's ok then!

However... I also found the mobile was good for when DDs were going through a stage of waking at 5 something. An extra 15 minutes at that time of the day is worth its weight in gold. But yours may sleep better and as you say, you can always get it later!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now