Talk

Advanced search

2.1yo giving up nap?

(9 Posts)
InsaneDame Mon 09-May-16 13:35:47

Please so it isn't so! He sleeps 8.30pm until 7.15am (I have to wake him) and has been napping 12.30pm until 1.45pm (again I wake him up to preserve bedtime). The last 3 days he has taken ages to fall asleep for nap, it took 1hr today! He fell asleep at 1pm so I'm going to give him until 2pm otherwise be will be awake until gone 9pm tonight. I'm not sure he is quite ready to go the whole day without any nap but don't want to delay it as it will make bedtime too late. I could of course leave him to sleep in the morning and hope that will be late enough to keep him going.

Any ideas?

InsaneDame Mon 09-May-16 13:37:16

P.s other alternative is let him have a short nap in car as that always gets him sleeping but don't want to have to do that every day.

GraceGrape Mon 09-May-16 13:40:02

I'm afraid my Dd1 was exactly the same - gave up the nap just after her 2nd birthday. She was also taking up to an hour to settle so I gave up in the end and just dropped it altogether. She started to go to bed a bit earlier when she first stopped napping.

KW89 Mon 09-May-16 20:52:59

My DS1 gave up his nap at 22 months! I tried to hold on to it, but he wasn't having any of it in the end! He's now 2 and a half, if he has a really busy morning (like walking around the zoo etc) then he will occasionally fall asleep in the car, but this happens maybe once a month! He has always slept well through the night so I guess he just didn't need the extra in the day!

MrPony Mon 09-May-16 20:55:45

Will he have a shorter nap? At his age 30 minutes should be enough. He's at that tricky age of needing some time out but not needing too much of it or he might miss out on something!

Ds1 grew out of them about that age but I just took each day as it came. Some days he would nap, others he didn't need to.

PinkParsnips Mon 09-May-16 20:58:46

My DD stopped napping just before she turned 2 for about 6 months but suddenly now at 2.5 she has gone back to having a 1-2 hour nap every day...don't give up hope! grin

InsaneDame Mon 09-May-16 21:25:18

Thanks for replies. MrPony I could just put him down later and wake him after 30 minutes, worth a try I suppose. If he wakes up before 7am then he is pretty good at going down but anything after 7am I have a fight on my hands!

waitingforsomething Tue 10-May-16 02:19:24

Dd gave up her nap completely at 2.3. She did a very solid night though- 12.5-12 hours so perhaps allow him to sleep till he's ready in the morning then just let him drop it. They're all different

InsaneDame Tue 10-May-16 11:12:55

He slept 8.30 until 6.30 this morning so will def be having a nap today - he needs about 12hrs sleep over 24. Not sure why he got up so early!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now