Talk

Advanced search

not repeating same mistakes!

(5 Posts)
Babytalkobsession Sun 08-May-16 08:04:07

Hi all,

I have DS 2.5 and expecting DS2 next month.

DS1 really has been a terrible sleeper. All the usual things, frequent waking, ages to resettle, cat napping (20-45 mins), it really was hard.

His current pattern is no nap and only about 10 hours at night. He just doesn't seem to ever want much sleep!

Is there anything I can do when new baby arrives to start of on a better track? My best friend has just her first 6 weeks ago and already seems in a good routine following Gina Ford. Not my sort of thing, we are more baby led approach. But is it worth it for sleep?

Panicking!

trilbydoll Sun 08-May-16 08:14:05

DD2 is a better sleeper than DD1, not amazing, and I'm sure it's 90% luck, but this is what we did:

1. Went up to bed at 7pm every night without fail. Mainly because we were for DD1 so it made sense! We ate tea beforehand and I stayed upstairs with DD2 when she was tiny.

2. Got her to nap in bouncers / swings etc rather than on me, again, logistically I couldn't sit on the sofa for hours like I could first time round.

3. Because we already had dd1, who had a rough routine (is lunch needs to be around 12) dd2 naturally fell into a routine much earlier. So we went out every morning and she napped in the pushchair, some mornings she fell asleep before I had finished loading it up!

Like I say, I think it's luck. But I feel like I did a few things "right" this time that I didn't first time round!

ThisWasCrownjewel Sun 08-May-16 08:17:36

I agree, I think it's luck. DS is 19mths and has never slept through, even now. DD is 7wks and is already sleeping 9.30pm-4.30am. I haven't particularly done anything with DD, she's just slept well ever since she was born!

DubiousCredentials Sun 08-May-16 08:24:40

My biggest mistake sleep wise with dc2 was assuming that she would be the same as dc1. Totally messed it up. She needed handling in a very different way.

Proceed with caution!

Babytalkobsession Wed 11-May-16 21:56:00

Sorry for not returning, and thank you for your advise! I borrowed Gina Ford's book from the library and its def not for me so will try to relax and remember they're all different...

Keeping everything crossed for a good sleeper though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now