Talk

Advanced search

Co sleeping baby rolling onto front

(9 Posts)
Nottalotta Tue 12-Apr-16 23:22:10

Ds is 8.5 months, ebf and starts the night on his front in his cot. Wakes for a feed 10.30/11 and then Co sleeps (or back in cot til next wake up a couple of hours later)

He has started rolling onto his front when Co sleeping.

He sleeps between me and his dad, on top of our quilt. I realise this is not the recommended way, we didn't plan to Co sleep. This has worked well for us but I wonder now about him sleeping on his front, on top of our quilt? I worry about him getting his face buried.

He feeds a lot at night and I am mostly quite aware of him but woke last night to find he'd rolled over to his dad and was on his front, though face to me and nose was clear.

The reason I Co sleep is that we all sleep better that way. Baby barely wakes, just latches on. Dad doesn't wake. I do wake but can go back to sleep.

LyndaNotLinda Tue 12-Apr-16 23:25:15

Can you pull the quilt way down? So he's just sleeping on the sheet? That's what I did - just never had it above my waist and made sure his head was almost touching the headboard so no danger of face meeting duvet

Zaurak Wed 13-Apr-16 05:37:39

Ours co sleeps too and is also a roller!

We have separate duvets now - works much better. I think on top of the quilt isn't great. We sleep with our duvets kind of tucked in on the outside of the bed so that they can't cover him in the middle.

Rosa Wed 13-Apr-16 06:01:08

That would scare me and I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep .....I would look at other sleep methods...sorry probably not what you want to hear.

Purpleboa Wed 13-Apr-16 07:14:35

My DD co sleeps too and has just started sleeping on her front. I just have her on the sheet, no duvet near her. She's 9 months so I feel she's strong enough to do it. That's how she sleeps in her cot too.

Drowsybutawake Wed 13-Apr-16 08:07:05

I think at 8.5 months and if they can roll over themselves the risk of SIDS is really pretty low. However as everyone said it give them a better chance to right themselves if they are on a firm surface. Are there other ways to avoid putting DC to sleep on the quilt? Maybe higher up the mattress?

Nottalotta Wed 13-Apr-16 11:37:05

We tried different things with the quilt and ended up sleeping even less as we are both people who snuggle into it a bit. I am working towards not Co sleeping (sob....) because I think it will be easier to stretch the bight feeds out that way.

He is VERY able to roll and correct himself.

Rosa I wanted honest opinions. I do sleep lightly and have always woken authentic slightest movement but on this occasion he rolled away from me so I didn't feel it.

Last night he did it immediately after his late night feed, I was still awake so returned him to his cot.

Will keep thinking........thanks

Coconut0il Wed 13-Apr-16 15:32:28

DS2 sleeps in between us on the sheet. He has started rolling on to his front. I have a single duvet and DP has a sleeping bagshock Not ideal but not forever.

CheersBigEars1 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:13:33

My Ds does this too, in fact he often sleeps in child pose which is very cute! He sleeps between us as well but like others have said on the sheet and away from the duvet if possible, i agree that at 8.5 months they would tell you pretty quick if something was wrong. DS also sleep crawls so our bed is now fort Knox!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now