Talk

Advanced search

what time should 5 month old go to bed?

(7 Posts)
mrsmoomoopoopoo Fri 08-Apr-16 18:32:58

It's hard to have a set bedtime as it depends on how her naps fall.
She has 4 30/45 minute naps per day and is awake for 2 Hours ish between naps.
I try not let her nap after 5 so that she goes to bed at 7 but it doesn't always work.
For example she woke from her nap today at 4.15 so fell asleep at 6.30.
If I was to put her to bed now she wouldn't settle so she will go to bed about 8.30.

Do you think an 8/8.30 bedtime is too late for a 5 month old?

Thanks

Littlemissjt Fri 08-Apr-16 18:35:10

My 7.5 month old goes between 8 & 8.30. I was never strict with bedtime, didn't see the point in a battle if he was awake and not ready to sleep. He's sorted himself into an 8-7/8 routine. Just go with it.

Ciggaretteandsmirnoff Fri 08-Apr-16 18:48:49

I spent a week camped out in my house pinning down sleep times. I'd look at longer nap times in morning and afternoon and apply wake to sleep to keep her asleep.

We are early risers in this house so dd was in bed for 6:30 PM and waking up for the day at 6am.

The book The secrets of the baby whisper, was a big help to me. It sets out age appropriate schedules. You can down load it. I've added a page on nap times out if the book

Starspread Fri 08-Apr-16 18:57:55

At least during the winter months I (accidentally!) had the baby keeping hours that were more suited to me - bed at about 10, waking up about 9 or 10. We're cosleeping so I tend to go to bed with him. He's a similar age to yours, and I've pulled bedtime forward to about 9 - but if he's tired earlier, he goes to bed earlier, and if he's clearly wide awake, he stays up a bit later. I'm not worried about it tbh - a bit of flexibility means I also have more flexibility, say if we go out somewhere and he can fall asleep in the sling for the evening.

Thethingswedoforlove Fri 08-Apr-16 19:01:03

I think it matters less what time they go to sleep but more the quantity of sleep they get in a 24 hr period. Sounds like you are doing fine. I did the two hour thing too and it worked well for me.

Cric Fri 08-Apr-16 19:10:17

Our DD Didnt have a regular bedtime until about 7months, she seemed ready for it then.

mrsmoomoopoopoo Sat 09-Apr-16 19:55:33

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now