Talk

Advanced search

sleepyhead?

(12 Posts)
BeanyFTM80 Thu 07-Apr-16 08:53:22

Does anyone use the sleepyhead? We have just ordered one but have now seen conflicting reviews on it. The majority of mums rave about it but now concerned about SID as i suppose it's technically a pillow in her Moses basket even though that's what it is designed for. My baby is nearly 4 weeks old and just won't settle in her Moses basket. Any advice or reviews would be appreciated, thanks xxx

MYA2016 Thu 07-Apr-16 09:39:36

We have it in our snuzpod and it was the only thing that got my baby away from sleeping on me at night (we bedshared till week 9 - baby wasn't Interested in sleepy head till this age). Just so you know though it was far too big for our moses basket which even now my 12 week old stillwdon't sleep in.
I don't think it's a sids risk because they promote it for nighttime sleep so it has to be tested. There was a similar one I saw but when I emailed them their response said something along the lines of "it's not been tested to standards of safe nighttime sleeping therefore we can only recommend it for supervised day naps"

TangerineTrees Thu 07-Apr-16 14:10:51

I have one - it's brilliant. DS wouldn't sleep anywhere except on me until we got one when he was about 7 weeks old (in hindsight I can't believe I waited that long). It wouldn't fit in our Moses basket so we use a next2me crib. I was/am totally paranoid about SIDS but I feel confident using the sleepyhead - it's firm, the sides are secure and in my opinion it's a darnsight safer than him falling asleep on me and me falling asleep. If you're worried, maybe try it for supervised daytime naps and see how confident you feel.

CityDweller Thu 07-Apr-16 19:46:56

It's been brilliant for us - DS was also a baby that would only sleep on us when he was newborn. Bought a Sleepyhead when he was a few weeks old and he started sleeping well in it (also swaddled him).

The only problem we have now is weaning him off it (tried and failed miserably tonight!).

Nicnak2223 Thu 07-Apr-16 19:53:57

We use one but only because our bed is too high for the next to my crib. It was a temporary measure that I've not moved away from yet (DS is 17 weeks) I always cover it with I fleece blanket or sheet on warmer nights and he sleeps in a sleeping bag abd is always cosy.

HairyBoob Thu 07-Apr-16 20:19:04

It's amazing. They're breathable and if babies are dressed appropriately they won't overheat in them. I'm VERY paranoid about safe sleeping and DS2 has been in his sleepyhead from day one. He's now in the grand. Expensive but worth it.

mulberrybag5 Sat 09-Apr-16 01:37:22

I have a 10 day old and it's the only place he will sleep. I've heard health visitors tell you not to use them and not to put them in Chicco next to mes. Does anyone else have any experience of health visitors being against them? I'm worried about when she turns up and sees that he's sleeping in one on the sofa next to one of us.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 09-Apr-16 02:22:44

Technically sleepyheads don't conform to safe sleep advice to be on a flat, firm mattress but as a previous poster has said, I had no qualms abou using one - the design is such that it is all but impossible to imagine how it could be a smothering risk - the bumpers are firm and curved in such a way that a baby couldn't really bury their head in it - very much unlike an ordinary pillow. We co-slept with DS in the sleepyhead and it felt much much safer then when we he was sleeping on or besides me without the sleepyhead, as he was protected from the risk of accidental rolling and we were able to tuck bedsheets/duvet under it so they didn't accidentally get pulled up.

As for HVs - mine told me that she couldn't officially recommend co-sleeping but reassured me that most parents do it!

mulberrybag5 Sat 09-Apr-16 02:41:41

I feel it's safe too and was going to transfer it into the Chicco zipped up at the side and see if he is able to settle in there that way.

He will not settle in anything other than the sleepyhead at the moment or on me or oh and I'd rather that than him falling asleep on me.

The hv in my area tells people not to use them so I'm not looking forward to her visit.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 09-Apr-16 10:03:47

HVs often have some funny ideas!grin

We eventually managed to transfer DS into a bednest crib next to the bed (the sleepyhead was a perfect fit), although it took a while for him to be happy with that rather than in our bed.

mulberrybag5 Sat 09-Apr-16 10:48:18

How many weeks was he when he was settling like that?

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 09-Apr-16 12:22:56

I think we had a proper "4th trimester" - it took about 3 months until we had a decent chance of getting him to stay asleep if he wasn't on me or right next to me in our bed. I think he was worse than many (but it's not necessarily a sign of things to come - he is nearly 2 now and is currently a very reliable sleeper but needs his own space, he utterly refuses to co-sleep!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now