Should I wake 13 day old overnight?

(7 Posts)
Newfamily2014 Tue 05-Apr-16 03:41:23

My 13 day old has developed his own feeding routine of feeding lots during the day and cluster feeding from about 5pm until about 10/1030pm. He's gaining lots of weight, pooing and weeing well.

Overnight he has a feed at about 2am and then the next is between 6and7am. He can sleep for a 4 hour block, however tonight I have woken him after 6 hours of sleep to offer him milk as I thought that was a long time for him to go without a feed. He took some but not a full feed and is now back to sleep.
What do you think? Should I have woken him? How long would you let him sleep for overnight?

HandbagFan Tue 05-Apr-16 03:45:59

At that age yes I would wake for a feed. Four hours is quite a long time for them to go - the odd six hour but not regularly and not because you're worried about waking. Don't forget it's their hydration too and you wouldn't want to go that long without a drink.

Mine is six weeks old and I'm only letting him go six hours at night if it's led by him, and no more than four hours during the day.

TanteRose Tue 05-Apr-16 03:47:04

I'd leave him be and it probably won't last grin

as long as he's happy and gaining weight, plenty of nappies etc.

congrats by the way flowers

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Tue 05-Apr-16 04:05:13

Speaking as someone who has been awake with an 18mo for the last 3 hours... I would never wake a sleeping baby. It sounds like he has developed a little routine for cluster feeding and stocking up for a longer sleep. Cherish this at all costs! Congratulations on your new baby smile

Fluzzieinajacuzzi Tue 05-Apr-16 04:10:39

Yes wake him, they're too young to go that long and depending on how you're feeding him he could tire quickly and not have the strength to feed properly later on (if bf). Their "routines" change daily at that age too so don't worry that you're ruining a good thing.

Newfamily2014 Tue 05-Apr-16 04:52:21

Thanks everyone! Nice to see I'm not the only one awake at this time of night! ;-)
Interestingly he's just woken of his own accord asking for a feed and fed very well which is reassuring.
Hope you all get some sleep especially you cubtinghomicidalcardigan and your little one :-)

waitingforsomething Tue 05-Apr-16 13:41:18

I would never wake at night - especially if he's feeding loads in the day and cluster feeding all evening too. Enjoy it while it lasts!
I never woke either of mine at night although would make sure they ate 2-3 hourly during the day. I know people that woke their babies 3 hourly at night even if they were a good weight and those babies carried on waking out of habit long after they needed the feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now