Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are We Keeping Baby Awake?!

(12 Posts)
DC905210 Mon 04-Apr-16 23:41:34

Hi There,

I am a father, my wife is actually asleep on the sofa. She is pretty exhausted at the minute, our first born son is six weeks old on Wednesday.

We have him in our room, originally in a Moses Basket but that seemed to upset him so we bought a Chico Bedside thing which he likes better but normally wakes every two hours.

My wife is breast feeding so that is really wearing her out.

However we had noticed that around 8pm he will go to sleep but sort of knows it is night time, in that he will wake, want a feed, then we will nappy change him and he will go back to sleep unlike in the day when he seems reluctant to go to sleep and wants to be looking around.

So tonight instead of putting him in the front room Moses Basket we put him upstairs in the Chico instead and he is still fast on at 23:45 (as I write this).

I keep going to check on him and he is fine so I am letter my wife rest.

Is it possible WE are waking him up when we are up in the room with him?

If so is six weeks too young for him to be moved into his room? It is all ready for him whenever he wants it.

RomComPhooey Mon 04-Apr-16 23:47:01

It wasn't as early as 6 weeks, but DH and I moved DS1 into his own room at a few months after a visit to our IL when I realised HE was waking me up a lot. At my ILs, I'd heard him start shuffling like at home and leapt out of bed and hovered over him, ready to feed him before he woke the whole house up (their house is smaller). As it happened, he seemed to be in a lighter sleep phase and shuffled/grunted/wriggled for about 20 min and then settled without waking fully. I realised that night (after a couple of similar episodes) that he was actually a half decent sleeper, but mine was trashed by subconsciously listening out for him. Once we moved him out of our room he started "sleeping through" or for longer blocks that eased the sleep deprivation-induced (parent) nuttiness.

RomComPhooey Mon 04-Apr-16 23:47:33

Oh yes, I was breast-feeding too.

BeagBoo Tue 05-Apr-16 00:18:00

Six weeks is too young. Don't change his nappy unless you really need to, wakes them right up!

Nottalotta Tue 05-Apr-16 18:39:43

Sids guidelines are to keep babu with you for 6 months. I think the idea I'd that babu doesn't sleep as deeply with you in the room, which reduces the chance of Sids. I might be totally wrong but pretty sure that's what I read.

Coconut0il Tue 05-Apr-16 21:53:55

Personally I think it's too young. The recommendations are to have them with you till 6 months.
Also with bf I find it much easier to have DS by me than keep getting up and going into a different room.

OneMagnumisneverenough Tue 05-Apr-16 21:57:09

Obviously babies are all different but mine were in our room until about 10 months to a year old and they slept though very early so don't think it's as simple as that.

NerrSnerr Tue 05-Apr-16 21:57:42

We followed the SIDS guidelines and our daughter slept where we were until 6 months. She tended to be a bit wired in the evening but settled well when we went to bed.

Tiggywinkler Tue 05-Apr-16 21:59:06

The SIDS risks are highest between 1 and 4 months - whatever you choose (and what's right is different for everyone), I'd bear that in mind.

Archer26 Tue 05-Apr-16 22:03:28

I moved my DS into his own room at 9 weeks as I thought we were waking him too,OP. The guidance is 6 months but even my health visitor said to do what works for you.

Stepawayfromthezebras Tue 05-Apr-16 22:03:30

My DD is 11 wells old and I find that if I don't have loud white noise running we wake each other up

trilbydoll Tue 05-Apr-16 22:08:42

I would put him to bed in his crib in your room but I would stay there with him, either have an early night or just sit on the bed with the iPad / chatting quietly. I don't think being in the living room with the lights on is conducive to baby sleeping well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now