Newborn making noises when sleeping

(15 Posts)
CommanderShepherd Sat 02-Apr-16 18:13:24

My 3 week old ds has the past couple of nights starting grunting/whining in his sleep, very loudly! He generally sleeps from 10/11pm to 3am ish and he's quiet, after his 3am feed he takes ages to settle and appears to be asleep but starts making these noises. He isn't constipated or colic

TeaBelle Sat 02-Apr-16 18:16:18

Some babies are generally loud sleepers. I struggled to sleep.with dd in the same room as me!

KanyesVest Sat 02-Apr-16 18:17:29

My dc were both noisy little buggers for no reason other than to remind me they were there!

Mrsmulder Sat 02-Apr-16 18:21:43

Oh I remember this well. They keep you awake with their grunting and wiggling and then they finally fall asleep and you Jump up in a panic because they are quiet!

loveulotslikejellytots Sat 02-Apr-16 18:22:42

My 3 month old DD only wakes once to feed, but I wake up 6 or 7 times a night because of the noises she makes. We're going away soon, when we get back we're moving her into her own room. It's only next to our room.

Knockmesideways Sat 02-Apr-16 18:24:43

Oh my word DS was a noisy so and so. He actually used to giggle in his sleep when he got to about 7-9 months old. Which was lovely but a little disconcerting when this he he he he came over the baby monitor. And yes, he was fast asleep.

Nottalotta Sun 03-Apr-16 10:28:20

I think it's a phase, ds did it for a few eweeks then stopped.

Coconut0il Sun 03-Apr-16 21:46:01

DS2 did this, exactly as you've described. I was googling sleep grunting, constipation, wind, silent reflux... Don't think he had any of those actually and he just grew out of it. I even filmed it one night as I was sure something must be wrong! He's 7 months now and never does it!

Katisha Sun 03-Apr-16 21:50:27

I remember my GP saying they often sounded like hedgehogs on 40 a day...

Turbinaria Sun 03-Apr-16 21:51:01

Yes ours sounded like dinosaurs

Marzipants Sun 03-Apr-16 21:56:00

My first post on MN was asking about my newborn sounding like a dinosaur! He never had colic, just a bit windy. That was 4.5y ago, now I have a 5mo DD who wakes us with her farts.

katiegg Sun 03-Apr-16 22:00:08

oh yes! ds sounded like a warthog when he was sleeping. bizzarely, only at night, or I just didn't notice it during the day.

I vividly remember going to bed one night when he was about 2 weeks old. he was in the Moses basket at the bottom of our bed. I was absolutely exhausted but ended up lying awake listening to him snort, grunt, groan, fidgit, fart... until well after midnight. I think at one point was actually praying he would just wake up!

apparently, they quieten down again but I didn't wait to find out. he was evicted from our room when he was about four weeks old.

hebs72 Wed 06-Apr-16 17:14:58

Our 6 week old does this, but hers is because of reflux, we think. She'll be quiet for about the first 5 or 10 minutes we put her down, and then starts grunting, wheezing, wriggling, snorting, sneezing - you name it. When we check, she's generally brought up some milk, so we're currently in Infant Gavison hell, trying to get it sorted.

Wibblewobble100 Wed 06-Apr-16 20:27:42

Mine DS this too, I have a video of it, exactly as you describe in the second half of the night.... It lasted until he was about 12 weeks old I think!

museumum Wed 06-Apr-16 20:33:29

Yes. My newborn sounded like a baby t-Rex!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now