Talk

Advanced search

Is 23 m/o too young to drop her nap?

(10 Posts)
Loops81 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:13:31

My 23 m/o has been resisting her afternoon nap for the last week or so. Up to now, she used to go down for a 1.5-2 hour sleep in her cot after lunch with only a bit of complaining, but recently she just screams until I give up and get her out. She sleeps really well at night, a solid 12 hours since she was about 6 months old, so I'm not worried about the overall amount of sleep - this just seems really young to be awake all day long and she does get crabby in the afternoon! She won't sleep in the buggy but will snooze if we happen to be in the car at nap time - but it would be madness to take her for a drive every day, wouldn't it?! It could just be a phase...but how long should I keep trying for? I don't want to have these upsetting showdowns every afternoon.

BettyBi0 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:26:06

Mine had a similar phase and I panicked thinking it was the end of naps forever. I moved the nap time back a bit and it didn't help so I moved it forward (seems counter intuitive) but it worked! Or maybe it was just a weird phase. Toddler sleep is nuts.

Now at 26 months she sometimes sleeps a solid 2 hours, sometimes just has "quiet time" in her room where she either self settles and sleeps after singing and playing by herself for 30 mins plus, or just mucks around. Sometimes no nap at all if we are out and I just power through but put her down to sleep early at 6:30/7.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Fri 01-Apr-16 15:39:59

I was coming to ask the same question. My nearly 22 month old has given up on naps. She has always been a shocking sleeper. The only way to get her to nap is push in buggy or go for a drive. I only let her have an hour and a half as a max (normally an hour) and wake her up by 3pm. I start the fight to get her to sleep straight after lunch.

If she has a nap that means she won't sleep till 10pm. If she doesn't have a nap she is asleep by 8pm (average get up is 8am) but wakes up more in the night.

Like PP said I hope its a phase for both of us!

waitingforsomething Sat 02-Apr-16 01:41:01

It is younger than average but children are all different. I would keep trying to put her down at home and at the very least make some kind of quiet time- she may fall asleep if left in her cot with some books and soft toys.

My daughter had given up her nap by 26 months - she always slept 13 hour nights though. I know children that have given up their nap around 18 months.

DPotter Sat 02-Apr-16 02:09:31

You lucky thing - naps until 23 mths! My DD refused hers from 16mths and would wake all the other kids at Nursery to boot - nothing and I mean nothing got her to sleep during the day ever since.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Sat 02-Apr-16 19:31:40

DPotter, what a nightmare!

DPotter Mon 04-Apr-16 02:19:35

Well she's a teenager now so nothing will get her out of bed much before lunch....

daisydalrymple Mon 04-Apr-16 17:09:03

Dd gave up naps at 18 months here too. Hoping ds2 doesn't do the same as its when I get my housework done!

KW89 Mon 04-Apr-16 21:18:33

DS gave up his nap at 22 months, I tried so hard to hold on to it, but it wasn't worth the fight in the end! Since his baby brother was born he has been waking earlier in the morning and will very occassionally ask for a nap, but that's maybe a couple of times a month if I'm lucky!

SansaClegane Mon 04-Apr-16 21:26:56

Two of mine gave up their naps well before they were 2. It really depends on the child! Youngest is now 26m and very occasionally will conk out on the sofa during the day, but most days he just goes through without getting grouchy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now