Any ideas? Toddler distraught at bedtime.

(1 Post)
flanjabelle Mon 28-Mar-16 21:35:26

Dd is 2.5 and has been settling to sleep by herself for a few months. Before that she was cuddled to sleep (I know, I know). She has been happily going to sleep alone, but after a stay at nannies where she got very upset and wanted mummy, it's all gone tits up.

She starts to get a wobbly lip as I settle her down after her stories, and then as soon as I leave the room, she starts either shouting out or crying. When she gets the wobbly lip, I always do something a bit silly, and it makes her smile or giggle, but after I leave she still shouts out etc. It quickly escalates into hysterical screaming whether I respond to it or not, screaming that she wants me to stay with her.

I have tried talking to her, bribing her, leaving her for a while to see if she settles, nothing works and she gets more and more distressed. It's not a tantrum, it is a hyperventilating, screaming, choking sort of upset.

I don't know what to do. I can't go back to spending an hour in with her trying to get her to sleep every night. I was stressed out and my relationship with dp was suffering. I need this time to myself. She is difficult at the minute, really clingy and challenging with her behaviour, and this just seems to be an extension of this, but I just don't know how to go forward.

Any advice would be great fully received. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now